Macarons have become so popular that no party menu can do without them. No sweet table is complete without a platter of delicious macarons.
They are colorful and tasty, so what else could you expect?
If you, too, are a fan of this French dessert, you surely want to be able to make them by yourself. You should know that baking them at home takes quite a bit of time, especially if you’re going to make a variety of flavors and colors.
The main problem is that macarons disappear so fast! It’s almost like magic – as soon as you serve them, the platter is empty! Therefore, if you want macarons to last for at least a few days, you have to bake a gazillion of them!
The main question is, how long do macarons last. If you bake multiple batches at a time, how should you store them to preserve their freshness and crispiness?
We’ll try to answer these questions and tell you everything else you need to know about sweet little macarons!
A Word Or Two About Macarons
Macarons have originated in French cuisine, but their popularity quickly outgrew France, and they became famous worldwide. There are numerous varieties you can try there, and that is yet another good reason to visit Paris.
A Short Story About The History Of Macarons
- The first macaron was baked in 1791, at least according to the French Dictionary Larousse Gastronomique. It was after Catherine De Medici of Italy married King Henry Li and came to live in France. She could not do without the Italian pastry, and thus she brought Italian Pastry chefs with her.
- The Italian chefs were the first to create the recipe for macarons. They used traditional Italian ingredients. Regretfully, at first, macaroons were hidden behind the walls of the king’s palace.
- They were so good that eventually, the recipe found its way to the public, and macarons became famous throughout France. Two nuns who had to seek asylum during the French revolution baked macarons to make their living, and that is how the recipe got out on the streets of Paris.
- The macarons, as we know them now, were first created in the early 20th century. Until Pierre Desfontaines of Patisserie Laduree in France added a buttercream or jam, they were plain empty biscuits. He was the first to make sandwich-like cookies we all love today.
What Do Macarons Look Like?
- Macarons are small round biscuits filled with a soft and smooth filling. They look like little sandwiches! They are usually of a different color, and some are even dipped in chocolate melts or drizzled with rainbow sprinkles. The colored ones are known as Parisian Macarons.
What Do You Need To Make Macarons At Your Home?
If you want to try out your culinary talent, you can bake some macarons on your own. First, you’ll need to get some necessary ingredients for the dough such as:
- Almond meal
- Egg whites
The list does not stop there. There are actually numerous ingredients you can add to make the end result more delicious.
To make your biscuits super tasty and colorful, you should add:
- lemon juice to the yellow macarons
- orange juice to the orange macarons
- vanilla essence to the white macarons
- cocoa powder to the brown macarons etc.
Such cookies will adorn any dining table!
See Also: How Long Do Oranges Last?
Macaroons vs. Macarons
- Do not get confused – “macaroons” and “macarons” are not the same thing, even though their names are spelled almost identically.
- These desserts are both gluten-free biscuits, and that is where all their similarities end. Their taste and texture are nothing alike!
- The macarons we are referring to are round baked biscuits. They are made with almond meal dough. On the other hand, “macaroons” are small coconut shred cakes made out of coconut flakes. Try not to confuse the two!
How Long Do Macarons Last?
Of course, no one can tell you exactly how long macarons can last, as that depends on numerous factors. There are several questions you need to answer first:
- How did you store the macarons?
- How quickly did you refrigerate or freeze them?
- What filling did you use?
It is crucial that you refrigerate macarons as soon as possible. The general rule is that refrigerated biscuits should be consumed within three days, especially if you want to enjoy their full taste and preserve their texture.
If you want to preserve them for a maximum of the time, you should know that they will stay good to eat for about a week.
For best results, store macarons in an air-tight container with as little free space as possible. Never leave them in an open container, even in your refrigerator.
If you want to be able to use them for longer than a week, your only option is to freeze them. Frozen, your macaroons will be good to eat for about six months.
Continue reading for more details on how to store macarons and how long they will last.
Storing Macarons at Room Temperature
- If you want to display your perfect macarons, you need to store them out in the open. Like any other biscuits, macarons will stay good to eat for only a couple of days when stored at room temperature. Store-bought macarons are no exception and should also be consumed within the three days of purchase.
- If you plan to keep home-made macarons at room temperature, it is best to make a chocolate filling or fill them with jam. If you insist on butter filling, you need to be extra careful. It is especially important to avoid leaving such macarons outside during summer.
- Butter filling will change both its taste and texture when it is hot outside. It might go bad, too, and endanger your health.
- There is yet another issue you are likely to face when storing macarons at room temperature. Namely, these delicious sandwich biscuits absorb moisture quite quickly, which means they will turn soft over time.
- For this reason, you should best keep them in a sealed jar or an air-tight container. Make sure that the jar you use is clean and completely dry too.
Storing Macarons in a Fridge
- If you want your macarons to last you for more than three days, you cannot leave them on display. As we have already mentioned, refrigerating macarons will keep them fresh for up to a week or so.
- For best results, you should pack up the biscuits in a sealed Ziplock bag or a sealed container before you put them in the fridge.
Freezing the Macarons
- Your best option is to freeze the macarons if you want to prolong storage for a long time. As they will stay fresh for six months, there will be no need to bake them regularly. Do it once, bake a large batch, and freeze them for future use.
- When you crave a macaron, or you have sudden guests, simply take some biscuits out of your freezer and enjoy them in no time at all!
How To Freeze Macarons Properly?
Follow these simple steps:
- Once you bake the macarons, leave them to cool off completely.
- Next, place the cookies on a tray lined with baking paper or plastic wrap.
- Put the trays in a freezer for about an hour to solidify the macarons.
- Transfer the macarons from the tray into the ziplock bag or an air-tight container.
- Return the sealed bags or containers into the freezer. Do not put anything heavy over the bags.
That’s it! Simple, isn’t it?
When you are ready to enjoy them, take the macarons out of the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature. You will be ready to serve them in about twenty minutes or so. Bon appetite!
You are now ready to bake and store macarons at your home and enjoy them any time you please!
Even if you do not want to test your culinary skills and still decide to buy macarons at the store, our storage methods will enable you to enjoy them longer.
These creamy and crispy biscuits are also great snacks to serve to your guests or even carry to picnics, so start baking ASAP! Do not forget to let us know which storage method worked best for you!