Top 5 Best Utility Knives 2021:
- Utility Kitchen Knife 5 Inches – Sharp Knife and Kitchen Utility Knives by Home Hero
- KYOKU Daimyo Series – Utility Chef Knife 6″ – Japanese VG10 Steel Core Forged Damascus Blade – with Sheath & Case
- ZYLISS Sandwich Knife and Condiment Spreader
- HENCKELS 31160-131 CLASSIC Serrated Utility Knife, 5-inch, Black/Stainless Steel
- Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 4.5-inch Utility Knife
With so many types of kitchen knives that are at your disposal today, naturally, you will want to make a distinction between what you really need and what is not that useful.
But we all know that one, all-purpose knife that we reach to whenever we want to perform day-to-day actions in the kitchen – open up a package, slice vegetables, a piece of bread, etc. You should always have one at hand.
In other words, what you need is a utility kitchen knife.
Because of its general purpose and versatility, you’ll be using it presumably every day, which means you need a high-quality tool that won’t get on your nerves.
So, you don’t want another knife that rusts and feels dull only after a couple of uses, which is why it’s of crucial importance that you get the best utility knife on the market.
As usual, we’ve made sure to delve into a thorough investigation and find you the best utility knives that you can get as of now!
5 Best Utility Knives In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Utility Kitchen Knife 5 Inches – Sharp Knife and Kitchen Utility Knives by Home Hero – Best Overall
Spoiler alert: if you are looking for the best utility knife, the Utility Kitchen Knife by Home Hero is the one.
This knife is also a testimony to the fact that you don’t have to pay big bucks to obtain a top-notch knife that will serve you for many years to come. Not only that, but you’ll be using it every day!
Now, let’s see why this knife deserves such a prominent title.
First of all, it literally aced all of our tests. It showed to be an excellent knife for slicing and dicing all kinds of veggies and fruits, and it effortlessly removed fat from meat.
The reason why this knife is so efficient is its first-class stainless steel blade, sharp as a razor, and the fact that it doesn’t stick to any foods because of its durable coating. It goes without saying that it is rust-resistant and non-scratch, too.
The thickness of the blade is the perfect middle-ground of 1.22mm – delicate enough, but not too thin.
The blade doesn’t just perform exquisitely – it looks terrific, and everybody will envy your cutlery collection if you own it. The black and shiny, elegant design with the company’s logo is really something else.
In addition, the solid handle of the knife does not fall behind with its quality. It is made of polypropylene, coated in protective TPR so that it doesn’t receive any damages.
Such a premium combination of materials for the construction of this knife results in it being wholly dishwasher-safe and easy to clean.
All in all, this utility knife is indeed a home hero of versatility and a must for any kitchen.
- Quality materials
- Excellent value for the price
- Sleek design
- Made of stainless steel
- Non-stick coating
- Easy to maintain
- None here that we could find!
If you want to buy a premium utility knife that may not be the cheapest out there, and complete the collection of your valuable cutlery tools, the Kyocera Utility Knife is the one you’re looking for.
There’s some tough competition with regard to durable utility knives within this price range, but we decided to go for this one because of its modern design and versatility.
It is equipped with an exclusive blade that has a lot of tradition. Namely, the zirconia Z206 blades are made with the highest-quality ceramic formula in Japan. Their beginning dates as far back as 1984, and since then, the formula has been perfected and upgraded so that these dense sub-micron particles make for a strong and ultra-sharp blade.
You may think that “dense” and “lightweight” do not go hand in hand, but here they do! Ceramic cutlery is actually almost half the weight of steel knives, as it doesn’t require a heavy handle to balance the weight.
Ceramic knives should not be used on stone, glass, plates, etc., but only with the wood cutting board (alternatively, you can use a plastic one, too). But make sure to keep an eye on that, and there will be no problems with the durability of this knife.
Also, it is dish-safe, but again, ceramic is a bit more delicate than stainless steel, so you should place in on the top and separate it from other metal utensils.
That said, when properly maintained, ceramic blades can maintain their edge up to 10 times longer than the steel ones!
This 4-inch utility knife made clean and precise cuts that don’t require a lot of pressure, and we were pleased with its performance. You can use it for carving and cutting hard foods, as well, and it is suitable for both beginners and seasoned chefs!
- The blade doesn’t flex at all
- Lifelong warranty
- Attractive color schemes
- Ceramic knives are slightly more difficult to maintain than steel knives
- A bit pricey compared to the other picks
3. ZYLISS Sandwich Knife and Condiment Spreader – Budget-Friendly Pick
The Zyliss utility knife is one of the best bargains that you will find, although, as you can see from its name already, it’s a bit different than our previous picks.
As you know, utility knives are very often used for making sandwiches, and this knife specializes in it. It is armed with literally anything that you need to make a perfect sandwich.
Now, don’t get us wrong – it isn’t made only for sandwiches; you can use it anytime you need to cut and slice something – but it is its primary purpose.
Here’s why it got the nickname “sandwich knife” and how you can use it.
Firstly, its sharp, slightly serrated stainless steel blade cuts through any processed meats, cheese, and veggies, as well as any type of bread, even those hard and crusty ones.
Want to make a peanut-and-jelly sandwich?
No problem! Just use the 1.5-inch wide part of the blade to spread them, as well as any other condiments you want to. The end of the blade is unique – oval, rather than pointed – so that you can achieve that perfect and quick spread.
We also liked the orange ergonomic handle that is encapsulated with a soft rubber that prevents any fatigue but also ensures a nice grip without slipping.
Because of this rubber that can get damaged, we recommend a hand wash, though the product is advertised as dishwasher-safe.
Lastly, we want to mention that you’re covered by a 5-year warranty, but we believe this knife is going to endure longer than that!
- Excellent for spreading
- Rust-resistant steel
- Easy to maneuver
- Low price
- Long enough (around 9 inches) to reach the bottom of any jar
- The blade isn’t as sharp as with some other utility knives on our list
Excited to meet one of the kings of the premium line when it comes to utility knives?
The reliable company name, Zwilling J.A. Henckels, made one of the best utility knives for those of you who want to invest in the cutlery collection.
It is made in Spain from high-quality German stainless steel, with a formula that has been developed over the years so that you get a professional blade.
This satin-finished blade will cut through anything with a minimum amount of pressure and will stay sharp longer than most of the blades.
We tried it out with everything, tomatoes, peaches, biscuits, muffins, salami, chicken – you name it – and it didn’t have the slightest problem.
With regard to this, we feel the obligation to emphasize it: be aware, this blade is sharp.
It is perfect for slicing those ideal, thin pieces of curated meat.
The handle offers a nice, comfortable grip with slightly curved edges for the best position of your hand.
Appearance-wise, the Henckels utility knife is not giant, though. It looks simple, and even the handle doesn’t look too innovative. Considering its hefty price tag and its impeccable performance, we wish it aspired a bit higher in the field of visual design, too.
That’s a minor flaw compared to the versatility and precision that you get with this utility knife, though. If you’re ready to forgive it the simplistic design and enjoy all the benefits of a premium blade, we wholeheartedly recommend the Henckels 31160-131 utility knife.
- Ergonomic handle
- Excellent performance
- High-quality steel
- Razor-sharp blade
- The design does not reflect its price
5. KYOKU Daimyo Series – Utility Chef Knife 6″ – Japanese VG10 Steel Core Forged Damascus Blade – with Sheath & Case – Professional Pick
You’ve probably heard about Japanese knives and their long-lasting tradition of producing the best line of knives for professional cooks.
This is our choice of this premium quality series that every chef deserves.
Everything about the Kyoky Daimyo Utility Chef knife is breathtaking, from the design to the performance.
Made of VG-10 super steel manufactured in Japan, it contains a cutting core of HRC 58-60 hardness (even better than the famous AUS-10 steel), and it is also easier to sharpen than most professional knives.
This 8-inch handcrafted knife offers the ultimate versatility when it comes to cooking, as it can slice and cut virtually anything that you want.
Precision and durability are its middle names, and it contains a traditional 3-step finish. This so-called “Honbazuke method” features Nitrogen for the appropriate hardness and flexibility of the knife while it stays corrosion-resistant.
The herringbone pattern on the knife made by professional artisans isn’t there purely for aesthetics (although it is more than beautiful), but it also prevents any food from sticking on the knife.
Due to the polished mirror finish, the pattern on the blade is accentuated, and the engraved Mosaic pin on the ergonomic handle is another beautiful detail.
Speaking of the handle, it is surprisingly lightweight for a professional knife, but not at the expense of a superior balance between the blade and it. Also, it is contoured for your convenience and a secure grip.
As it can be expected from such a luxurious utility knife, you’re getting a lifelong kitchen tool, covered under a full lifetime warranty.
- The best design
- High-quality Japanese production
- The best professional utility knife
- Amazing edge retention
- Full tang
- Comes with the case
- Lifetime warranty
Factors You Should Consider Before Buying A Utility Knife
Although it might appear like an easy job, before you decide which utility knife you want to buy, you need to set parameters for the purchase.
With so many versatile knives vying at your attention, here are two factors that you need to consider before you choose the one:
- The first thing about the blade that you should look for is razor-sharp. You should not accept any other descriptions and performance, as this is a condition that enables smooth, effortless, and precise cuts.
- Additionally, you want to ensure that the material of the blade is durable and strong – our recommendation is non-rusting stainless steel.
- While the blade mostly accounts for the performance of the knife, the handle enables efficiency and safety.
- You should choose a handle that allows a nice cutting angle, and is built with ergonomic properties in mind: a nice, non-slip texture, curves, and the possibility for a firm grip.
- It’s needless to say how dangerous can the dropping of a knife be, so the importance of full control and comfortable grip is something you must not overlook.
- We made sure that all of our best picks on the list feature a handle that fulfills these requirements!
What Are The Uses Of A Utility Knife?
As you know, the kitchen utility knife can be used for quite a variety of tasks, with no strict boundaries and rules that limit its use.
However, there are some sweet spots that it is the best for, and we’ll briefly cover them here.
1. Cutting Up Medium-sized Vegetables And Fruits
- The paring knife is another popular option for cutting fruits and vegetables, but the utility knife is better for those that are larger than the blade of your paring knife.
- For instance, the utility knife is your best bet for slicing pears, apples, pears, peppers (not for all veggies & starting with a “p”, though, but these examples first came to mind).
2. Slicing Chubs Of Meat
- The utility knife has a perfect length of the blade to cut processed meat, such as salami, sausage, ham, etc.
3. Slicing Cheese
- The same goes for hard cheeses – the utility knife with its sharp blade should have no trouble slicing most types of cheese.
4. Trimming Chicken And Fish
- Removing the excessive amounts of fat or sinew from chicken and fish can also be done with the utility knife if you don’t own kitchen shears.
5. Use It As A Sandwich Knife
- From all of the uses, it’s clear that this is an all-in-one tool that you can use to prepare all the ingredients for a sandwich (and also cut it in half if you want). We even have the best sandwich utility knife on our list.
To Slice It Up: Our Recommendations
After careful consideration of the five utility knives that we reviewed, our decision to hail the Utility Kitchen Knife by Home Hero as the best utility knife overall is prompted by its functionality and excellent performance during our tests – all that at a reasonable price.
Alternatively, with the Kyoky Daimyo Utility Chef Knife, you get what you pay for. It is one of the priciest out there, but it proved to be the best professional utility knife.
We are adamant that everyone deserves to be treated with next-level sandwiches, and that’s precisely what our budget-friendly pick, the Zyliss Utility Knife, specializes in.