Top 5 Best Turkey Fryers 2021:
- Enterprises Turkey Deep Fryer
- Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Liquid Propane Turkey Fryer
- Masterbuilt Butterball 1650W XL
- Stark Deluxe
- Cooper & Co Backyard Pro Deluxe
Cooking a turkey is anything but easy.
Is it cooked? Is it too dry? Will my guests like it? These are just some of the questions we asked ourselves when preparing Thanksgiving dinner.
Most of us go with the classic turkey recipe. Add some salt, thyme, oregano, and follow the instructions from included on a Butterball. But, what if we told you there are other ways of preparing turkey?
Did you know you can fry this big bird? But, to be able to deep-fry a turkey, you need the best turkey fryer on the market. What’s more, you don’t have to use these machines just to fry a turkey. With a turkey fryer, you can prepare all sorts of other delicious meals like roasts and steamed ham.
Unfortunately, finding a model that will best suit your needs is more complicated than you might think. Should you go for an oil-based or an oil-less model? What’s more convenient, electricity or gas? This only gets more complicated when you start thinking about additional features.
Thankfully, you’re at the right place. We’ve done the necessary research to save you time and help you make the best choice. In this article, we’ll review five best turkey fryers you can buy on the current market.
And if you want to do some store browsing yourself, we’ve also prepared a useful buyer’s guide.
5 Best Turkey Fryers In 2021: Detailed Reviews
Here are our top five picks for the best turkey fryer. To give you more variety, we included both electric and gas fryers and oil-less fryers. We don’t doubt in mind that you’ll find at least one of the products below interesting.
1. Enterprises Turkey Deep Fryer – Editor’s Choice
Do you have a large family? Are you planning on cooking for a crowd?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, then you’ll need a turkey fryer that can handle a turkey or a couple of chickens at the same time. This is why the top pick in our list goes to one of the largest turkey fryers on the market, Enterprises Turkey Deep Fryer.
This fryer comes with a 44-quart 20-gauge stainless steel pot. This pot can handle a 25-pound turkey like it’s nothing. What’s more, you’ll be able to keep almost half a dozen chickens in one go! That’s just perfect for large family gatherings.
Along with the pot, this fryer also comes with a vented stainless steel lid, a poultry rack, and a 12-inch thermometer that can read temperatures from 50 to 750 degrees. And as a bonus, you also get an insulated glove and a seasoning injector. All these extra goodies make this turkey fryer one of the best bang for the buck models on the market!
The burner is just as fantastic as the rest of this product. SS31 stainless steel burner is incredibly low profile and comes with a 48-inch hose so that you can position the propane tank.
- 44-quart capacity
- Comes with a poultry rack, seasoning injector, and a thermometer
- Extra long propane tank hose
- High-quality low-profile burner
- None whatsoever!
2. Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Liquid Propane Turkey Fryer – Runner Up
While the very thought of freshly fried turkey causes our mouth to water profusely, we have to admit that deep-fried turkey is not the healthiest food out there. This is why the second place in our list goes to an oil-less turkey fryer from Char-Broil.
This turkey fryer uses infrared heat to cook the turkey to perfection. This doesn’t just go for turkey, but any poultry. Thanks to a 16.000 BTU burner, all meat that comes out of this fryer will be perfectly tender and cooked to the bone.
The burner sits inside a cylindrical double-walled cooking chamber that can handle turkeys up to 16 pounds. Although Char-Broil turkey fryer isn’t as big as our first pick, it’s still big enough to feed a large family.
This turkey fryer also comes with a couple of cool accessories. It comes with a wire lid, a poultry rack, a lifter, and a thermometer. Of course, it also comes with a propane hose that’s a bit too short for our taste.
- Features a 16,000 BTU burner
- Oil-less design
- Excellent capacity
- Comes with a thermometer
- The propane hose is a bit too short
3. Masterbuilt Butterball 1650W XL – Best Electric Turkey Fryer
So, far we’ve talked about propane-powered turkey fryers. The main downside of this type of fryer is that it can only be used outdoors. If you want to prepare turkey from the comfort of your home, you need an electric turkey fryer like this one from Butterball.
Masterbuilt Butterball 1650W XL electric turkey fryer can handle a 20-pound turkey like it’s nothing, and it uses less oil than its competitors. What’s more, you can use this fryer to steam and boil foods.
To be able to start frying, you need to heat the oil to 375 degrees. Unfortunately, heating the oil can take up to an hour. And when you put the turkey in, you’ll have to wait for even more for the temperature of the oil to return to an optimal 375 degrees.
All these issues are not specific to just this electric turkey fryer. Most electric fryers suffer from the same problems because they can’t heat up as quickly as propane fryers.
Overall, this is a solid electric fryer that’ll serve you for years. It might not be the fastest, but it will free up the oven for other dishes.
- Can be used indoors
- Can handle a 20-pound turkey
- Uses less oil than other turkey fryers
- Can be used to steam and boil foods
- Slow to heat up
4. Stark Deluxe – Best Affordable Turkey Fryer
Want to deep fry some turkey but are strapped for cash? No worries, many turkey fryers on the market won’t break your bank. One of these turkey fryers is Stak Deluxe. This turkey fryer costs half as much as other models we reviewed so far but is just as capable.
Even though it’s affordable, this turkey fryer can feed an army! It comes with a 30-quart pot, so you can cook a 20-pound turkey like it’s nothing. What’s more, it comes with a 50,000 BTU burner that’ll heat the oil inside the pot in a matter of minutes.
Unfortunately, since this is a budget product, some concessions had to be made. The pot is made out of aluminum. Although aluminum has superb heat transfer capabilities, it isn’t as sturdy as stainless steel, and it can easily warp.
Thankfully, this issue is offset by additional goodies that come with this turkey fryer. You get a poultry rack, but it also comes with a thermometer and a seasoning injector.
- Very affordable
- Comes with a 50,000 BTU burner
- 30-quart capacity
- Comes with a thermometer and a poultry rack
- Built out of aluminum
- Doesn’t come with instructions
5. Cooper & Co Backyard Pro Deluxe – Best Complete Turkey Fryer Kit
The last place in our list goes to a turkey fryer that comes with everything you need out of the box to cook an utterly delicious turkey. Cooper & Co Backyard Pro Deluxe comes with everything you need to start frying turkey!.
The pot that comes with this turkey fryer can take up to a whopping 30-quarts of oil. This is more than enough to cook a 15-pound turkey or three chickens at the same time. Unfortunately, the pot is built out of aluminum, which is prone to warping.
Along with the turkey pot, you also get a smaller 11-quart frying pot. You can use this smaller pot to fry chicken or to steam vegetables. Both pots come with their respective racks, so you can start cooking right out of the box.
The burner is just as fantastic as the pot. It is rated at 33,000 BTUs and can heat an entire pot of oil in a matter of minutes. We wish the propane hose was longer, but we understand that might make it less safe.
Along with the pot and the burner, you also get quite a few goodies. Along with two pots and racks, it also comes with a lifting hook, seasoning injector, and a turkey hanger! Even though it’s built from aluminum, you’ll hardly find any other product that offers this much value.
- Comes with a 33,000 BTU burner
- Comes with everything you need to start frying turkey
- Easy to use
- Comes with an additional 11-quart frying pot
- The propane hose is a bit short
- The pots are built out of aluminum
What Are Turkey Fryers And Why You Should Buy One
Fried turkey is a longtime favorite dish of the Southern US. If you’re not from the south, you might not be familiar with these machines.
So, what is a turkey fryer? A turkey fryer is a cooking appliance that consists of a burner, a large stockpot with a lid, a poultry holder, a lifter, and a thermometer. The burner uses propane gas and, in many cases, is sold separately.
These cooking appliances come in a couple of flavors. You can choose between propane and electric turkey fryers. The differences between these two types of fryers are apparent, one uses propane to cook, and the other uses electricity.
There are also oil-based and oil-less turkey fryers. The former one utilizes hot vegetable oil to essentially deep-fry the turkey, while the latter one works just like a kitchen oven.
But Why Should You Buy A Turkey Fryer?
Although a turkey fryer is far from an essential requirement for a household, it’s an excellent buy if you’re planning on experimenting with your food. What’s more, you can use these cooking appliances to prepare other meals in rather large quantities. With a turkey fryer, you can make enough fried chicken in one go to feed an entire backyard party!
If you have a large family that likes having turkey here and now, you should definitely buy a turkey fryer. With a turkey fryer, you won’t have any problems satisfying your family’s appetite for turkey, especially on Thanksgiving.
If you own an RV or just like camping, you should also consider buying a turkey fryer. Since most of these cooking appliances work on propane, you won’t have any trouble setting it up in your camp. There’s nothing better than a piece of freshly fried poultry after a day of outdoor adventuring.
Turkey fryers are also excellent for those who like eating healthy? There are quite a few oil-less models out there that’ll cook the most delicious turkey you’ve ever tried. What’s more, a turkey cooked in an oil-less fryer is entirely free of extra fats and calories. This way, you can eat delicious food without the fear of gaining extra pounds.
The best thing about turkey friers is that they’re much faster at cooking turkey than when using other methods. To perfectly bake a 12-pound turkey, you’ll have to keep it in the oven for almost three and a half hours. On the other hand, with a turkey fryer, you can cook the same size turkey in just 30 minutes.
Not only are these cooking appliances quicker, but they also cook the turkey more evenly from all sides. And, as a cherry on top, since hot oil heats up the sugars and proteins in the turkey skin., it adds more flavor.
4 Factors To Consider When Buying A Turkey Fryer
Now that you know why you should buy one, it’s time to learn what factors you should consider when buying the best turkey fryer for your needs.
1. Considering The Type Of Fryer
- The first thing you should consider when buying a turkey fryer is what type you are going to get.
- You can choose between:
- Propane Turkey Fryers – These fryers function similarly to outdoor grills. They’re usually extremely durable and feature a hose that connects to a propane tank. The burner is used to heat up the oil in the large stockpot. Once the oil is heated up to the correct temperature, you can start frying. Propane turkey fryers can only be used outdoors.
- Oil-less Turkey Fryers – These turkey fryers also use propane, but don’t require oil and take a bit longer to cook the turkey. This type of fryer relies on the circulation of hot air to cook the turkey to perfection. Oil-less turkey fryers are the healthiest of three options. Just like propane fryers, oil-less fryers are intended for outdoor use only.
- Electric Turkey Fryers – This cooking appliance is similar to a deep fryer and can be used indoors. Electric turkey fryers are the safest of the three. They often feature a thermostat that manages the temperature, so you don’t have to. What’s more, they also feature an auto-shutoff feature if it gets too hot for comfort.
2. Considering The Safety
- After you’ve decided what type of turkey fryer you need, you should consider the safety. We recommend you get a model with a vented lid because it ensures no steam gets trapped inside during cooking. Another must-have safety feature is a poultry rack with a lifting hook. This rack allows you to safely pull out the turkey from the hot oil.
3. Considering The Size
- Turkeys are large, which is why you should look for a turkey fryer that can fit a large bird. A fryer should be big enough to allow for the turkey to be fully submerged in oil. This is why you’re best off with a 20-pound outdoor turkey fryer.
4. Considering BTUs
- BTU, or British Thermal Units, represents an amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one pound of water for 1°F. The higher the BTU, the more powerful the burner, and the quicker will the oil heat up. What’s more, higher BTUs also indicate better temperature control.
All that’s left now is to tally up the results.
We chose Enterprises Turkey Deep Fryer as the best turkey fryer on the market because it ticks all the right boxes. It comes with a 44-quart pot, it’s easy to use, it features a long propane hose, and the burner is just amazing.
The runner up is Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Liquid Propane Turkey Fryer. This oil-less turkey fryer is just as good as our top pick, but it’s more healthy because it doesn’t require any oil. What’s more, it’s quite affordable and features a superb burner.
Lastly, for those who want to fry their turkey from the comfort of their home, we chose Masterbuilt Butterball 1650W XL as the best electric turkey fryer. Even though it isn’t as fast as a propane fryer, it offers you the comfort those fryers never could.