Top 5 Best Shaved Ice Machines 2021:
- Little Snowie 2 Premium Shaved Ice Maker
- Hawaiian Shaved Ice Machine S900A
- Zeny Ice Shaver MachineKoval Inc. Heavy Duty Ice Shaver
- Time For Treats SnowFlake Ice Shaver
- Nostalgia SCM502 Vintage Ice Shaver
Both men and women like it shaved.
Ice. We’re talking about ice. What did you think we were referring to?
We’re glad that you took an interest in the magnificent invention that is the shaved ice machine. Are you trying to buy your kids’ affection with material things? That’s OK – it works!
Perhaps you just really love shaved ice and want to have it within an arm’s reach. Whichever the case, we’ve got you covered.
It’s important not to buy crap. We’re sure you already know this. So, with that in mind, we composed an article that’ll assist you in finding the best shaved ice machine for your needs.
You’re only a quick read away from your delicious frozen kingdom!
5 Best Shaved Ice Machines In 2021: Detailed Reviews
Ice shavers – they don’t make ’em like they used to. Don’t get us wrong, there are good and bad models, and it takes a keen eye to know the difference. Luckily for you, our persistence (and keen eyes of our expert friends) helped us find the top five shaved ice machines on the market.
Do you want to see them? Read the heck on!
1. Little Snowie 2 Premium Shaved Ice Maker – Best Overall
When it comes to shaved ice machines for home use, nobody does it better than Little Snowie 2. Don’t be fooled by its adorable name as this machine means business. You ought to take it seriously!
Little Snowie 2 has the following dimensions: 11.25 x 7 x 13 inches. For comparison, that’s no bigger than an average coffee maker found in most homes. No matter how cramped your kitchen is, we’re sure that there’s enough room for such a compact device.
Little Snowie (hi-hi, don’t you just love saying that name?) takes ice in the form of cubes. In other words, you can feed it regular freezer-ice. All you’ve got to do is make sure that your freezer has an extra stash of cubes for emergency shaving!
The machine is made from polycarbonate, which is a lightweight but durable material. It’s got a handle that makes it easy to move it around. All of its components are BPA-free, so you won’t have to worry about your family’s health.
Despite all of the fantastic things above, Little Snowie isn’t perfect. It’s quite expensive, and it’s freakishly loud. However, if you don’t mind these setbacks, then we advise you to give this model a shot.
- Lightweight and sturdy
- Fast (makes nine cones per minute)
- Easy to operate
2. Hawaiian Shaved Ice Machine S900A – Best Budget Model
Whoever said that you couldn’t get quality for a low price was dead wrong. Hawaiian S900A proves that you don’t have to spend a fortune to buy an excellent shaved ice machine, and now we’re going to see what it’s all about!
As you might have expected, this is a small model, and its dimensions are 8 x 6.75 x 12 inches. Such size is a plus when it comes to small homes and singles or couples living in them. However, this device won’t be able to serve a lot of people fast, so don’t buy it if you need that.
Even though it’s small and intended for home use, the S900A is a combined machine. This means that it takes both ice blocks and cubes. It comes with two round molds into which you pour water and then freeze to make ice blocks. Cubes will give you coarser, and blocks finer shaved ice.
Now, the drawbacks of this model are that it can’t pour shaved ice directly into cones, and it’s pretty slow. Considering its low price and all its upsides, these issues aren’t too concerning.
Oh yeah, it’s also entirely BPA-free!
- Affordable price
- Compact size
- Can take ice blocks and cubes
- Easy to use
- Can’t pour ice directly into cones
3. Zeny Ice Shaver MachineKoval Inc. Heavy Duty Ice Shaver – Best Heavy Duty Model
Looking for a shaved ice machine for your business or for serving large groups? Zeny ice shaver might have just what you need. This beast is capable of producing copious amounts of shaved ice fast, and it’s as durable as a tank. Let’s take a closer look.
The machine is made from stainless steel, inside and outside. Frankly, the previous two models look like toys when compared to this one. It has a sleek and shiny exterior that’ll look great in your store or at home.
It’s straightforward to use, and you’ll figure it out in no-time. Put the ice (cubes or bigger pieces) into the large feeding tube, close the safety cover, turn it on, and voila – you’ve got shaved ice. Now, the ice will end up in a big metal tray, and you’ll have to scoop it out of there. Unfortunately, it can’t go directly into cones.
Zeny’s ice shaver will crush ice in mere seconds, and it can work for 20 hours without any problems. You’d expect such a device to cost a lot, right? Surprisingly, this isn’t the case, as this product goes for a very reasonable price.
- Large capacity
- Very fast
- Takes ice cubes and blocks
- Reasonable price
- Cannot pour ice directly into cones
- Sometimes spews ice in all directions
4. Time For Treats SnowFlake Ice Shaver – Best Manual Model
Not all ice shavers have motors. Some work on manpower and Time For Treats SnowFlake is one of the best manual models out there. It’s an excellent product for those who want to involve their kids in the ice-shaving process.
SnowFlake is a compact and lightweight device made entirely from plastic. Don’t worry, it’s BPA-free and pretty sturdy. Its size and construction make it fully portable so you can carry it with you on your family vacation.
Make your very own ice cones on the beach!
Here’s how it works. On the top, there is a crank handle that can be removed to reveal a container for the ice. Throw in cubes or chunks of ice, place the top with the handle back, and crank away.
On average, you’ll be able to fill two cones in a minute, which isn’t great, but not terrible either. It’s super-easy to use, just know that there’s no safety mechanism. Even though the chances for injury are super low, we wouldn’t let very young kids use it unattended.
SnowFlake’s price is chips, and it may as well be the cheapest product on the list. All in all, it’s a neat little device, and we’re sure you’ll enjoy it.
- Very cheap
- Easy to use
- BPA-free plastic
- Compact and lightweight
- Slow (two cones a minute)
- Doesn’t produce very fine shaved ice
5. Nostalgia SCM502 Vintage Ice Shaver – Best Vintage Model
Some people want a cute-looking ice shaver, and that’s fine. This one will bring you right back to childhood! Feast your eyes on Nostalgia SCM502 shaved ice machine, and just try to look away.
This model will bring the fairground straight into your house. It’s one of the bulkier home-use machines, and it’s dimensions amount to 13.5 x 10 x 17.5 inches. Once the shaved ice container is full, you can fill around twenty snow cones, so it’s great for buzzing summer parties.
Those who are concerned with safety will love what SCM502 has to offer. The machine cannot be turned on until it’s top is in place, and the blades are out of reach. Such a design makes it suitable for children to use.
When it comes to the shape of the ice it takes, this model uses cubes. From them, it produces not-so-fine shaved ice, and this might bother certain users. Also, it’s pretty loud, which means that folks with fussy neighbors should stay away from it.
Nostalgia SCM502 is a relatively affordable and adorable ice shaver, and we have no doubts that it’ll make some customers very happy.
- Large capacity
- Vintage, nostalgic look
- Reasonable price
- Relatively bulky but lightweight
- Safety switch
- Doesn’t make very fine shaved ice
- Pretty lout
What Is A Shaved Ice Machine?
If you stumbled upon this article by accident, then let us clarify what these things are. Shaved ice machines are devices that, well, make shaved ice!
You know what shaved ice is, right? Big chunks of ice crushed into tiny pieces.
The ice can then be covered with delicious syrups and consumed as a treat, or used in the making of cocktails, slushies, and who knows what else. Just to be clear, none of these machines will give you the finished product. They’ll just crush the ice, and you can do with it as you please.
What To Know Before Buying A Shaved Ice Machine?
Even though all these machines do the same thing, they can differ across several factors. Some are big, and some are small, some are fast, others slow. You get the picture.
With such a diverse offer, it might be difficult to decide which one will suit you the best. To help you better discern between different models, we’ve created a list of everything you ought to know before buying a shaved ice machine.
Read all about it below.
- The very first thing that you need to think about is the size of the machine. How else can you know if it will fit your kitchen?
- You’ll probably be placing it on the counter, so check how much space you have available there. Also, once the summer is over, chances are that you’ll want to store the machine away. Because of that, it’s advisable to think about the storage space too.
- It’s good that there are models of various sizes, and finding the one for you shouldn’t be an issue.
2. Shape Of The Ice
- Shaved ice machines differ regarding the shape of ice that you feed them. There are three different kinds – those that accept blocks, those that take in cubes and combined.
- OK, so what are the main differences between them?
- Cube machines are usually fast, easy to refill, and overall convenient because ice cubes are widely available. However, they produce a lower consistency of shaved ice than models that use blocks.
- It would be a good idea to get a combined machine that uses ice in both shapes, as it’s the most versatile and fuss-free.
3. Construction Quality
- When buying an ice shaver for home use, people often put looks before build quality. This almost always turns out a big mistake, and we’ll explain why in a minute.
- An ice shaver is a device that needs to withstand several months of intense use a year, and then it (usually) gets stored away. Intense use is the keyword here, and a poorly constructed model might not be able to endure it.
- Many shaved ice machines are made from questionable quality plastic. Some are good, but many aren’t, so we advise you to choose wisely if you decide to go for a plastic model.
- Your best bet is, of course, a machine made of metal. However, these tend to be pricey and are often intended for professional, and not so much home use.
- Speaking of plastic, there’s something else that you need to know. If you’ve ever shopped for kitchen appliances and tools, you’ve surely heard of BPA. It’s a nasty substance that some plastic contains.
- When in contact with food, or ice for that matter, it may leach out into it and end up in your and your family members’ bodies. BPA poses a health hazard, and that’s why it’s best to avoid it. If you purchase a model with plastic components, make sure that they’re BPA-free.
- Shaving speed is an important factor both for business and personal use. Imagine having a line of people asking you for a delicious cone, and you making it at snail speed. People don’t like to wait long when it comes to food!
- Speed varies a lot from model to model, but those with a larger ice holding capacity are usually faster. Folks who live alone probably don’t need a big ice shaver, but then again, they’re not in a rush either, so a slower device will do.
- Some manufacturers include accessories along with their shaved ice machine. These usually include cones or scoops, and both can be extremely practical. It’s a good idea to look for a model with these extras because then you won’t have to buy them separately. However, don’t purchase a machine just because it includes these items. Focus on the overall quality first!
We love these machines so much that we’re finding it quite difficult to wrap this article up. However, as hard as it may be, it’s time to finish and leave you to make your purchasing decision.
In case you want to know which models we like the most, check out the following paragraphs.
Our favorite shaved ice machine is definitely Little Snowie 2, and NOT just because of its name! It is versatile, fast, and can serve a decent number of people in a relatively short time. It is expensive, but if you’ve got the cash, don’t think twice.
Right after it is Hawaiian S900A. It’s like Little Snowie’s little brother – cheaper, with a smaller capacity, but still high-quality.
Those who need a heavy-duty model for their business or home will like Zeny. This baby can crush piles of ice in seconds and is very, very sturdy.
All in all, we hope that our article was of some use to you. If you don’t agree with us on our top three picks, then feel free to buy the model you like the most.
Remember folks – ice is nice!