Top 5 Best Popcorn Poppers 2021:
- The Original Hotpop Microwave Popcorn Popper
- The Great Northern Popcorn Maker
- Ecolution Original Microwave Micro-pop Popper
- The Presto Poplite Hot Air Popper
- The Hamilton Beach Electric Hot Oil Popcorn Popper
Ever walked into a movie theater and your senses started tingling at the sound and smell of delicious popcorn? Who hasn’t? Whether plain or with a little salt; melted butter topped or spice mixed – popcorn is a fantastic treat!
Popcorn is not only tasty, it can be a nutritional and low-fat alternative to other household snacks. It is also quick and easy to cook, easy to store, and can be made in large quantities. This means it’s excellent for family night, birthday parties, or a quiet evening reading your favorite book!
For the best in popcorn popping, there are several options to think about. Our guide to the best popcorn popper gives you features to look for. We’ve also provided tips on getting the perfect pop every time. So settle in, it’s ‘crunch time’!
5 Best Popcorn Poppers In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Editor’s Choice Award: The Original Hotpop Microwave Popcorn Popper
First on our list and winner of editor’s choice is the Original Hotpop Microwave Popcorn popper. This is a collapsible popper – it easily folds into itself for a quick and space saving put away. That’s one of it’s best features!
The Hotpop Microwave Popper is made of silicone, it’s BPA free and dishwasher safe. Simply add kernels to the maker, add seasoning and place in the microwave. The cool touch silicone handles make it easy to remove from the microwave and prevent burns.
The silicone is microwave safe and easy to clean as well as toxic and PVC free. Using this popper means less harmful exposure to chemicals in popcorn bags. It also means less noise from electric poppers and the slowness of the stove top.
Speedy, efficient, safe and versatile. This popcorn popper can be Used with oil or butter to add more flavor. Or you can skip that entirely to make your popcorn a more low-fat and just as tasty of a snack!
The Hotpop is capable of processing up to 15 cups in 4 mins. This means less time waiting to enjoy this healthy and fun snack. With this type of capacity, the Hotpop Popcorn Popper is a fantastic choice for a larger family or special event. The perfect companion to movie night!
The Original Hotpop Popper is a silicon based microwave popper. This means it uses microwave action to cook your kernels. This method is the easiest and fastest way to cook popcorn.
Unfortunately, silicon poppers are prone to staining after a few uses. So while they can be cleaned, over time you will see stains in the finish.
As we’ve said one of the best features of the Hotpop Microwave Popcorn Popper is that it is collapsible. This means you can easily store it in a small cupboard space, plate rack, pantry shelf or space. No need to take up counter space at all. It also means it fits nicely into most dishwashers too!
- Collapsible design for easy storage
- Large 15 cup capacity
- BPA and PVC free
- Staining from long term use
2. Runner- up: The Great Northern Popcorn Maker
Our second entry in our guide to the best popcorn poppers is the Great Northern Popcorn Maker. This maker uses a spinner style gear to stir the kernels for an even pop. Using that method means you have to make sure to watch your popcorn as it cooks. That being the case, the Great Northern Popcorn Maker isn’t as convenient as others in our guide.
As it is made of stainless steel, clean up is a breeze! You can simply wipe with a paper towel for a quick and easy clean.
This unit has a vented lid to release moisture as your popcorn cooks. Butter can be added while cooking and stirring.
For design, this popcorn maker certainly wins. It has real wood handles which are comfortable. The stylish and vintage appearance is very decorative. It also comes with an easy pour lid.
The Great Northern Popcorn Maker can make up to 5 quarts or 19 cups of popcorn. With that much capacity – it’s great for a big family or party. This is a definite benefit of this particular popcorn maker.
The Great Northern is a stove top popcorn popper. It uses the power of your stove top burner to heat and pop your popcorn. It does not, however, work on all ranges or stove burners. This unit is limited to non-induction ranges only.
The stir gear manually turns your popcorn as it cooks. With a custom duplex heating pad on the bottom, the Great Northern Popcorn Maker prevents burning. This also gives an even cooking surface.
With a solid stainless steel pot design, the Great Northern Popcorn Maker provides a stain free clean every time. There is some disassembly required for the ultimate clean. As such, it can be a bit more inconvenient for some buyers.
Storage wise it takes up more space than others in our guide. Similar to any pot in your kitchen arsenal, this unit has a long handle and lid.
- Stainless steel design
- Stylish appearance
- Servings per cooking cycle
- Doesn’t work on all stove ranges
- Takes up additional cupboard space
3. Top-of-the-Class Glass Winner: Ecolution Original Microwave Micro-pop Popper
Our third place winner in our guide to the best popcorn popper is the Ecolution Original Microwave Micro-pop Popper. This popcorn popper is made of borosilicate glass and silicone. This means it is more durable than ordinary glass. Borosilicate glass is also temperature safe. It won’t crack from changes in temperature like regular glass. It is also dishwasher safe and BPA free.
The Ecolution Original Microwave Micro-pop popcorn maker doesn’t require oil or butter to cook your kernels. It does have a butter melt feature for added taste however. Simply place the butter on the lid while cooking and then add it once your kernels are popped. The lid is also an excellent way to measure your servings size.
This unit is easy to clean as it is 100% dishwasher safe. Due to the strength of the borosilicate glass, it holds up well to frequent use and washing.
The Ecolution Original Microwave Micro-pop Popper has a serving size of 12cups. It is the smallest maker in our list of the best popcorn poppers. This can be a deterrent when buying if you are looking for more servings.
The Micro-pop is a microwave popper with the main difference of it being made of glass. It uses the heating energy of microwaves to cook your popcorn. This is done with or without oil or butter. The silicon features make it easy to handle too. They offer a safe, non-slip gripping surface.
As it is small in size, this unit won’t take up as much room as a conventional stop top or electric popcorn maker. It can be put away quickly in a smaller cabinet or on a pantry shelf.
- Melting and measuring lid
- Durable glass material
- Non-slip silicone grip
- Smaller serving capacity
4. Fourth Place Contender: The Presto Poplite Hot Air Popper
Coming in 4th place on our list of the best popcorn poppers is the Presto Poplite Hot Air Popper. This maker plugs into your kitchen outlet and uses direct hot air to pop popcorn. The chute directs your popped corn directly into your bowl.
For added convenience, there is a melting dish on top. This way you can melt your butter as you cook. There is also a cord wrap to wrap the power cord around when not in use.
The Presto Poplite Hot Air Popper is a countertop appliance. It uses 1475 watts of electricity when cooking your kernels. The clear plastic cup and cover can be removed for easy clean up, though the base of the unit can’t be taken apart.
This appliance is made of plastic and other materials. As such, it is not BPA free. That means some of the materials used in this product can cause sickness or reproductive harm.
The Presto Poplite can pop up to 18 cups of popcorn at a time. Perfect for larger families, gatherings, events or parties! It is the second largest by capacity in our guide of best popcorn poppers. A sure benefit to this maker!
This maker is a counter top electric air popper. It uses 1475 watts of electricity to direct hot air onto your kernels to cook and pop in 2.5 mins. While this popper does use air to cook your popcorn, remember the lid and chute do contain BPA plastic. This means potential exposure to this chemical and health risks.
As it does sit on the counter-top when in use, the Poplite does take up more room than some of the other poppers listed. It is also taller than any of our other poppers. This means when it is put away, a larger shelf or cupboard is required unless left on the counter-top.
In addition, the Poplite is the loudest popcorn maker on our list. It cycles hot air through the main part of the unit very quickly. This creates a lot of noise when in use. The loudness makes the Poplite a less desirable popcorn maker by far.
- Melting butter feature
- Chute for easy serving
- Larger capacity for more popcorn
- Not BPA free
- Uses up more space for cooking and storage
- Loud when in use
- Can’t be fully disassembled for cleaning
5. A Capturing Capacity: The Hamilton Beach Electric Hot Oil Popcorn Popper
Coming in last but not least is the Hamilton Beach Electric Hot Oil Popcorn Popper. This maker is a counter top style popper. Plug it into your kitchen outlet and add your kernels with oil and start popping. The unit features an inverted lid that becomes a serving bowl for extra convenience. It also has a “butter well”. The well slowly drips butter on your kernels as they cook.
The Hamilton Beach Electric Popper is made of plastic with a motorized stirring arm. Its design allows for clearance from your countertop surface.
As it is made of plastic, this unit is not listed as BPA free. This means there is a risk of exposure to harmful chemicals with use.
The Hamilton Beach Electric Hot Oil Popcorn Popper has a 24 cup capacity. That is the largest serving size featured in our guide today! This makes it one of the best features of this product by far.
The Hamilton Beach Electric Hot Oil Popcorn popper uses electricity and oil to cook popcorn. With its built-in motorized stirring arm, this unit moves the kernels as they heat up to promote popping.
The combination of stirring action and hot plate is how this unit pops your popcorn. The non-stick popping plate also provides an even heating surface. As the kernels are stirred, the heat and oil combine. This action allows for a quick cook time.
As this popper is a countertop appliance, it does take up room in your kitchen. The large capacity also means more counter top real estate too. For small apartments or kitchens with limited space, this unit may not be the right fit.
- 24 cup capacity
- Slow drip butter well
- Motorized stirring arm
- Must use oil to cook popcorn
- Not BPA free
- Takes up counter space
What Makes The Best Popcorn Popper The “Best”?
- When choosing a popcorn maker right for you and your family – features are important. Is it loud? Is it larger enough? Does it clean up well? These are all features that should be considered when buying the best popcorn popper. We’ve made sure our guide includes features that will help you decide which popcorn popper is perfect for you!
- Whether you want a small serving for yourself or a large family size, our guide includes both. For big movie nights, pick a larger capacity popcorn maker. This means you only have to cook one cycle and then enjoy it with friends! If you are looking for a snack for yourself – then choose one of the small cookers. This way not a single kernel goes to waste.
3. Cooking Method
- Our guide was sure to consider the different methods to popcorn popping. For the healthiest choice, choose an air pop popcorn maker. This means less fat and more nutritional value. If you are looking for a more hands on style – choose a stove top styled popcorn maker.
- Our popcorn makers featured here include options to melt butter or add spice too!
- Space saving is a must for most kitchens. Our guide includes both countertop options as well as collapsible and stow-away features too! For dorm rooms or small apartments, we recommend the collapsible unit. This makes storage simple and easy. For larger kitchens, counter-top space may be easier to organize – so consider one of the bigger makers listed here.
More On Popcorn: Pop-quiz!
Popcorn has been around for a very long time. The oldest popcorn known to date was discovered in New Mexico. It has been used for decoration on wreaths and other things for centuries too! Even on Christmas trees as far back as the 1800s. Popcorn has history, tradition, and exceptional taste!
Popcorn can be a healthy and tasty snack for the entire family. It’s high in fiber. At least 20 percent of the 19 grams of carbs in a serving of popcorn is dietary fiber. Air-popped popcorn has 70 percent unsaturated fat which promotes cardiovascular health.
While some people add butter to popcorn for taste this can increase fat and salt content. Doing so will make this snack not quite as much of a healthy one.
The least healthy way to consume popcorn is the iconic microwave popcorn. This popcorn is cooked by direct microwaves in portioned bags. While convenient, traditional microwave popcorn uses lined bags to cook the corn. The lining of these bags contain chemicals and can be dangerous when consumed.
Tips And Tricks: More Pop For Your Popcorn
- Perfectly popped popcorn is crunchy, light, and delicious. Here are some tips to make your popcorn cooking experience the best it can be!
- As said before, store your uncooked kernels in an airtight container for the freshest tasting popcorn
- Listen as your popcorn pops. When there is more time between each “pop” of the kernel, this tells you your treat is almost done. Don’t wait too long once the popping slows as this can burn the kernels and leave a very unpleasant taste. If there are more than 2 seconds between each pop, it’s time to break out the bowl and start snacking!
- Don’t start and stop the cycle of your popcorn as it cooks. This interruption can break the buildup of steam in each kernel and cool it off. This means that the kernel won’t pop easily and could burn. Allowing for 2 to 3 mins to cook is usually the right amount of time for popping corn. Each method or appliance is different however, so keep that in mind. Experiment to find the perfect popping time for your kernels!
The Final Pop
Popcorn is a fun and easy snack for the entire family. It goes well with the latest film, sleepovers, or as a quick treat. Sprinkle a bit of salt or a drip of butter and enjoy one of the favorite foods the world over.
Whatever way you eat your popcorn, with this guide you can be sure to select the perfect popper for your family. Use our quick tips on storage and cooking too for the freshest popcorn every time.
So put in your favorite sequel to Star Wars and slide that bowl over here – it’s time to settle in for a popcorn movie night!
For more best to buy guides and articles, like and share this and other featured articles.