Top 5 Best Molcajetes 2021:
- IMUSA USA MEXI-2011M Super Heavy Traditional Granite Molcajete
- Vasconia 5031764 4-Cup Granite Molcajete
- The Latin Products Authentic Handmade Molcajete
- Culinary Couture Molcajete Set
- Ebuns 2 Cup Natural Heavy Molcajete
If you consider yourself a serious chef, you must get yourself a Molcajete.
Well, how else do you expect to make salsas that can put even the best of restaurants to shame?
These kitchen tools are a staple of any Mexican kitchen. A molcajete and tejolone aren’t just used to make tasty salsas, they’re also commonly used for grinding spices.
And let us tell you, there’s nothing healthier and better than homemade spices. This is because you have full control over the ingredients and their freshness.
And if you think you’d be better off with an electric blender, but you’d be terribly wrong. A machine simply isn’t able to grind stuff to such a fine degree as a molcajete can.
Unfortunately, choosing the best molcajete for your needs can be quite tricky because the market is full of seemingly samey products.
This is why we decided to do the research for you. In this article, we’ve reviewed the five best Molcajetes you can find on the current market. We’ve also prepared a short and sweet guide on how to pick the best molcajete.
5 Best Molcajetes In 2021: Detailed Reviews
Before we get into our spicy guide, let’s go over our top picks for the best molcajete you can find on the current market. We made sure to include a wide variety of models to make sure there’s something for everyone.
We’re sure at least one of the products below will catch your eye, so let’s start with the best and go from there.
1. IMUSA USA MEXI-2011M Super Heavy Traditional Granite Molcajete – Editor’s Choice
We’re starting off this list with one of the biggest molcajetes you can buy. Why? Well, if you’re planning on making tasty salsas, you’ll likely have unexpected visitors.
Imusa USA Mexi-2011M Super Heavy Traditional Granite Molcajete is an excellent choice for those who like cooking for the whole family or love hosting dinner parties.
The first thing we noticed about this molcajete is how solid it feels. This is because it’s built out of 100% granite and weighs a whopping 10 pounds. Not only that, but it also looks absolutely beautiful. If you have a granite kitchen counter, this molcajete will fit in perfectly.
And even if you don’t have a granite kitchen counter, this molcajete will give a more traditional flare to your kitchen.
When it comes to utility, you won’t have any trouble making large quantities of spice or salsa because this molcajete measures 8 inches in diameter. And since granite is a nonporous material, you can rest assured your salsas and spice blends will taste wonderful. This is because they won’t take in the smell of other foods you used to make with this product.
- Made out of 100% granite
- Very affordable
- Absolutely None
2. Vasconia 5031764 4-Cup Granite Molcajete – Best Authentic Molcajete
The second place in our list goes to a molcajete that is sure to be on a traditionalist’s shopping. Vasconia 5031764 is designed and built to deliver you the functionalities of an authentic kitchen tool to enhance your culinary experience. Let’s go more in-depth and see why it’s so good.
Just like our first pick, this molcajete from Vasconia is built from 100% granite. The best thing about granite is that it’s a nonporous material. What this means is that this molcajete won’t take in any smells or tastes from the food you’re preparing with it. This ensures every meal you make is tasty and full of authentic aromas.
Another cool thing about granite is its aesthetics. It’ll fit in with any decor. It doesn’t matter what your kitchen looks like, a granite molcajete will give it additional flare.
When it comes to size, this molcajete is around 8 inches in diameter. This means you’ll be able to make large quantities of spice or salsa with ease. What’s more, you can later use it as a bowl to serve the said salsa.
On top of all this, Vasconia molcajete is very affordable, giving you one more reason to pick it up and try it yourself.
- Built out of 100% granite
- Smooth grinding surface
- Not dishwasher safe
3. The Latin Products Authentic Handmade Molcajete – Best Handmade Molcajete
Don’t let people fool you, “authentic” molcajetes aren’t made out of smooth river basalt. No, real molcajetes are made out of volcanic basalt. It might be the same type of rock, but there are quite a few differences, the main one being that Mexico doesn’t produce river basalt.
With this litter rant over, we would like to present to you the most authentic product we’ve ever laid our eyes on, the TLP Authentic Handmade Molcajete. If you’re a type of person who likes supporting indigenous artisans, you should definitely pick this product up.
This molcajete is built out of volcanic basalt, a naturally porous material. This is why you’ll have to cure it before you can use it. Thankfully, this product comes with the instructions that’ll help you get this molcajete up and running in no time.
One of the coolest thing about this product is that each unit is unique. This is because each molcajete is hand made by Mexican artisans, each giving his own flare to the finished product.
When it comes to the size, you won’t have any trouble making salsa for your entire family because it measures a whopping 8.5 inches in diameter. This molcajete is also quite deep, so you don’t have to worry about the contents spilling out.
- Built by indigenous artisans
- Extremely sturdy
- Has to be cured before use
4. Culinary Couture Molcajete Set – Best Value
Just like our previous pick, this molcajete is an authentic Mexican molcajete. The only difference is that this molcajete from Culinary Couture has a polished exterior for a beautiful finish. This product also comes with a couple of useful accessories. Read on and find out which!
When it comes to overall size, even though this product weighs a hefty 7.5 pounds, it doesn’t have a large capacity. This product can hold only two cups of material, making it perfect for couples. Any more than that, and you’ll have to make your salsa in a couple of batches.
Like we mentioned in the introduction, this product doesn’t just come with a molcajete and a tejolote (pestle). It also comes with a silicone mat, a scrapper, and a wooden spoon. We especially love the addition of a silicone mat because it helps you keep the molcajete in place and protects your kitchen counter from damage.
Just like the previous product, this molcajete has to be cured before you can use it. Unfortunately, this one doesn’t come with any instructions. This means you’re left to your own devices. Even though you can easily find instructions online, we don’t see a reason why the manufacturer couldn’t print the instructions.
- Comes with useful accessories
- Has to be cured before use
- Doesn’t come with curing instructions
5. Ebuns 2 Cup Natural Heavy Molcajete – Most Affordable Molcajete
Are you on a limited budget but want to get yourself a decent molcajete? Worry not, there’s a product that fulfills these criteria, Ebuns 2 Cup Natural Heavy Molcajete! Even though it’s not the biggest molcajete in the world, it’s still quite useful and comes with one feature that makes it unique.
Even though this molcajete isn’t the biggest, it’s still more than useful. Sometimes bigger isn’t better. If you’re in a smaller household, or you like making salsa that’s so spicy a little goes a long way, this molcajete is for you.
The unpolished look of this product looks great. What’s more, it’s rough surface makes gripping it that much easier. Another benefit of an unpolished finish is that it brings the cost of this product way down, making it one of the most affordable molcajetes we’ve ever reviewed.
One thing that makes this product stick out from the others is the unique anti-scratch bottom. This molcajete features a special anti-scratch felt on the bottom to protect your kitchen countertop from scratches. This is both a blessing and a curse because while it does protect your kitchen counter, it also slides around a lot.
- Very stylish
- Doesn’t require curing before use
- Built out of 100% granite
- Slides when being used
What Is A Molcajete And Why Should You Buy One?
If you’re an experienced cook or someone who sticks to traditional cooking methods, you should be familiar with molcajetes. But, if you aren’t a professional cook or just prefer to use a blender in your kitchen, you probably haven’t heard of a molcajete.
Some people have never heard of a molcajete but possess one in their kitchen. This is because a molcajete has nowadays lost its original purpose and now stands in many kitchens as decoration.
A molcajete is a traditional Mexican cooking tool for grinding spices, herbs, and making traditional Mexican sauces, commonly known as salsas. Simply put, a molcajete is almost the same as a basic mortar and pestle.
Traditionally, a molcajete is made from volcanic stone and is used for anything from smashing tomatoes and garlic to grinding spices and herbs. Nowadays, a mortar and pestle are made from marble and are polished and smooth. However, a real molcajete should have a rough surface to make the grinding and shearing easier.
Using a molcajete in the kitchen shouldn’t be underestimated. This unique kitchen tool was used for thousands of years by our ancestors and is still in use today.
A molcajete isn’t limited to only the Mexican cuisine, but it’s used in many culinary traditions around the world. Even the most famous restaurants have a molcajete in their kitchen. And there is a reason for that.
A molcajete is the best tool for transforming textures. With a blender, you’ll never be able to get the desired food-texture, because you can’t optimize the grinding performance. With a molcajete, you’ll always achieve the perfect texture of the sauce.
What’s more, when using a molcajete instead of a blender, the flavor and aroma of the spices and herbs won’t be lost in the grinding process. The natural taste and aroma of the ingredients will even be enhanced.
So, if you want to achieve the authentic taste of Mexican salsa, it’s time to get a molcajete for your kitchen.
3 Factors You Need To Consider Before Buying A Molcajete
Before you buy the best molcajete for your kitchen, here are three main factors you need to consider when browsing for one.
1. The Stone
- An authentic traditional molcajete is handmade from volcanic stone. The outer surface is usually polished and smooth, while the inner surface is rough. The inner surface should have a rough, abrasive texture to make the shearing and grinding process easier.
- With a traditional molcajete, you’ll be able to get the texture you desire. Whether you are grinding garlic, or shearing tomatoes for salsa, the results will astonish you. What’s more, the natural aroma and taste will be preserved in the grinding and shearing process.
- But be careful. Traditional Molcajetes that have a rough texture are harder to clean than one with a smoother surface. After every use, a traditional molcajete should be thoroughly cleaned. Also, take note that parts of the bowl can chip if you’re too rough on the pestle.
- If you need a molcajete just for grinding and not for shearing, you don’t need to get the traditional one. A molcajete made from polished granite or marble will suit you just right. And, these models are also a lot easier to find.
- Consider the weight of the material. It shouldn’t be too heavy. The weight of the molcajete is very subjective. So, look for one that lays nice in your hand and maintains balance while you’re grinding.
- Molcajetes can be found in various shapes and sizes. It is up to you what you’ll choose, but there are some general directions on what shape you should look for.
- We recommend you to get a molcajete that has a rounded shape. The round shape will help retain all the ingredients while you’re grinding or shearing. A shallow-shaped molcajete can prove as counter-productive. That is because it won’t contain ingredients as well as one with a round shape.
- When it comes to the shape of the tejolote, or pestle, it should have a wider bottom. If you get one with a small and shallow bottom, be prepared for the ingredients slipping underneath the pestle while grinding. You’ll work more efficiently with a pestle that has a wider base.
- Also, make sure that the tejolote fits nicely in your hand. The pestle shouldn’t be too short to enable you to work efficiently. The tejolote should be long enough, so the top fits perfectly in your palm while your fingers include nicely around it.
- So, if you want to work most efficiently, look for a round-shaped molcajete that is deep enough and has a pestle with a wide bottom.
- The size is also an essential factor to consider. A small molcajete provides insufficient grinding and shearing space. This results in the ingredients spilling out of the molcajete and wasting more of your time.
- A bigger molcajete would be the smarter choice. The phrase the bigger, the better suits just right in this case. Make sure it’s large enough so that the ingredients don’t fall out in the grinding process.
- And, don’t worry too much about the weight if you get a bigger molcajete. You rarely have the need to carry the molcajete in your hand around, so the weight doesn’t represent a significant problem.
Our Final Word
All that’s left now is to recap the results.
If you’re looking for the best molcajete on the market, look no further than IMUSA USA MEXI-2011M Super Heavy Traditional Granite Molcajete. This product is built out of 100% granite and is also large enough to allow you to make large quantities of spice blends and salsa.
The runner up is the Vasconia 5031764 4-Cup Granite Molcajete. This product should be on the top of your shopping list if you’re a traditionalist that wants to make his/her food as authentic as possible.
If you like supporting local artisans, then you should go for the best handmade molcajete out there. The Latin Products Authentic Handmade Molcajete is built by Mexica artisans, and each unit is unique because of that. Besides that, these molcajetes are quite durable and large, making them a perfect pick for anyone with a large household.