Top 5 Best Latte Machines 2021:
- Mr. Coffee One-Touch CoffeeHouse Espresso Maker
- Breville BES870BSXL The Barista Express Coffee Machine
- NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine
- Breville BES500BSS Bambino Plus Espresso Machine
- Breville BES920BSXL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
There are very few people who don’t enjoy a good latte in the morning. Seriously, what’s not to like? The taste is great, the smell simply gorgeous, and the rich milky beverage spiced up with a healthy dose of caffeine can keep you kicking throughout the day.
If we need to take away something from this story, that would be that, unlike other similar beverages, even the simplest latte is not that easy to prepare.
And if you want to go barista-level and get the real deal, you will need to know the perfect amount of milk, the right brewing temperature… That requires tons of practice.
Or you can get yourself a good old latte machine and let the unit do all the heavy lifting for you. Of course, not all of these appliances are made the same. While some of them do a great job of preparing latte, others are simply awful.
So, allow us to quickly go through some of the most popular products on the market to find the best latte machine for your kitchen.
5 Best Latte Machines In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Mr. Coffee One-Touch CoffeeHouse Espresso Maker – Best Latte Maker Overall
Don’t get the name of this product fool you – although it’s branded primarily as Espresso Maker, this coffee machine does one hell of a good job of preparing latte. Seriously, all the building blocks for greatness are there. The drawbacks, on the other hand, are minor and barely worth mentioning.
So, let’s move them off the table first.
First and foremost, we would like to see the indicator that will allow us to know when to refill the machine with water. Also, the first couple of times we used it, we noticed some grounds in the coffee. But, this problem disappeared as time went by.
From this point on, we have nothing but praises. The unit looks great and is made from durable and easy to clean materials. One button interface makes sure that you will get all the beverages you want without putting too much thought into the whole matter, and a 19-bar Italian pump can extract a lot of different coffee flavors.
And you also get the opportunity to choose single or double shots of coffee with a single press of a button. So, we have nothing but praise for design and ease of use.
The other areas are not bad, either. On the contrary, all removable parts are easy to clean and dishwasher-friendly, the milk reservoir is more than ample, and the automatic milk frother will turn the liquid into creamy froth without breaking a sweat.
- Versatile coffee-making performance
- Ample capacity
- Great frother
- Streamlined controls
- Easy to clean
- Missing remaining water indication
2. Breville BES870BSXL The Barista Express Coffee Machine – Best Premium Latte Maker
It takes some nerve to call your product Barista Express. This move sets expectations way too high to be sloppy. Fortunately, Breville is a manufacturer that has never been sloppy, and this coffee machine definitely lives up to the hype. So, let’s break it down.
For a start, the whole thing is made from stainless steel, which makes sure you will get both excellent performance and exceptional longevity. And the performance is truly outstanding. Sure, the machine may be lacking some advanced features like LCD display, but the buttons laid throughout the control panel are clear and easy to use.
The gauge located in its center is large enough and makes sure you always know at what temperature you are currently brewing. All this makes the perfect balance between convenience and versatility required by more experienced baristas.
Going into the sheer specs, we can see that the machine is very well equipped for versatile coffee making. The 15 bar Italian pump in combination with 1600 Watt coiling system allows you to achieve all sorts of flavors.
And then, there are too many small details to cover. The machine packs quality stem wand, “clean me” indication, a large and removable water tank, and much more.
As for drawbacks, they are present but not too exaggerated. Two main things we would take away from this machine are the drip tray that needs to be cleaned very often and a steaming angle that could be better.
- Excellent materials
- Versatile performance
- Comprehensive controls
- A lot of useful features
- Looks stylish
- Drip tray could be better
3. NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine – Best Affordable Latte Maker
Some products are trying to sway the audience with expansive sets of features. Others are doing the same job with sheer convenience and simplicity. Nescafe Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine definitely belongs to the latter group.
If you are aspiring to sharpen your barista skill, you can skip this device altogether. But, if you just want to start your day with a cup of delicious latte without too much hassle, this coffee machine is a match made in heaven.
So, Dolce Gusto is missing all the advanced features you get packed with more expensive products of this type. What you do get is the streamlined interface coupled with an LCD display that allows you to easily pick one of the pre-programmed flavors, whole 17 bars of pressure, and smart capsule feature that preserves the taste of your favorite beverage.
The build quality, although not exceptional, is on the satisfying level, so we can’t say we are displeased with how the product feels – especially taking into consideration the price it’s sold at. Overall, an excellent pick for beginners and casual users.
We would like, however, that the machine works only with certain types of coffee pods that are not always readily available. The water container is, for some reason, very hard to pull out.
But still, the latte we got with this one was great, so we were willing to give the machine a pass.
- Affordable price
- Sleek design
- Reasonable build quality
- Consistent performance
- Streamlined controls
- Limited availability of coffee pods
- The water container is hard to pull out
4. Breville BES500BSS Bambino Plus Espresso Machine – Best Compact Latte Machine
If the previous product we reviewed aimed to lure in the customers with an affordable price and streamlined features. This one, on the other hand, plays up its compact design.
But, in this case, compact size does not come at the expense of available features and brewing options. All the essentials are covered, starting with things like low-pressure pre-infusion to effortless temperature controls, balanced extraction, and automatic micro-foam milk texturing.
What you get in the end is the rich, full flavor, perfectly balanced taste and extraordinary performance speed (the machine reaches the perfect extraction temperature in no more than 3 seconds).
The materials we have on display here are nothing short of impressive, but we haven’t expected anything less from such a renowned manufacturer like Breville. Be that as it may, the body is full stainless steel, detachable parts are easy to maintain, and dishwasher-friendly, and everything is put together with perfect craftsmanship.
All in all, if you have a small kitchen and need a compact product that will be able to perform all the essential functions of a coffee maker, this is the ideal purchase for you.
Keeping that in mind, we have to warn you that filters are not always easy to lock in (you will experience a fair share of friction), and the steamer can cause some unpleasant splatters.
- Great craftsmanship
- Feature-rich package
- Excellent performance
- Compact design
- Sloppy steamer
- Filters are hard to lock-in
5. Breville BES920BSXL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine – Best Professional Coffee Maker
And finally, we have our fifth contender once again coming from Breville. The number of products this famous manufacturer was able to squeeze into this roundup is nothing short of impressive. Their versatility indicates that this Australian-based giant has all market corners covered.
The coffee maker we are talking about here is the full-scale professional unit we can easily imagine in a café nearby. Unfortunately, its price is also so steep that the only people who can afford it are café owners or people who like their latte pristine, no matter what the price is.
So, speaking in causal appliance terms, the price of this beast is outrageous.
But, rest assured, if you can afford to spend more than one grand on a latte maker, every dollar you invest will be returned with extraordinary performance and impeccable build quality.
Seriously, everything on display here simply works – the stainless steel construction is top-notch, temperature control seamless and efficient, backlit LCD display clear and easy to read, and all coffee making options are thoroughly covered.
And taking into consideration that this bad boy is a full-scale double boiler, we have to admit that the overall dimensions and weight are more than under control.
Bottom line, we would gladly give this product a number one spot. But, if you are looking for an equally reliable latte maker with similar features, you can find a lot of cheaper options out there.
- Pristine quality
- Professional-grade performance
- Feature-rich unit
- Easy to use and maintain
- The price is outrageous
Things You Should Take Into Account To Get The Best Latte Machine
And now that we have cleared these top five products competing for the title of the best latte machine the money can currently buy, we can move to proclaim the winner of the roundup.
But, only one more thing before that. We need to set some standards we are going to use to compare them. So we are going to break latte machines feature by feature, see what works, what definitely does not work, and what are your available options.
Make sure to check this short buying guide. Even if you don’t agree with choices, we are going to make further down below, knowing all these things will help you find the ideal match for your energetic mornings.
So, without further ado, let us take a look at features to check before buying your new latte machine.
1. The Type Of Latte Machine
- Most of the latte machines you can find in stores and on the web can be divided into three distinct groups, all of which score some interesting pros and cons. Let’s go through them.
- Semi-automatic/Automatic – These units are great for beginner baristas that are still learning the ropes of the trade. They considerably automate some crucial processes and keep the margin for error minor, but do offer some autonomy and room for progress. The main difference between semi-automatic and automatic machines is that with the first group, the user still has control over the pump.
- Super-automatic – As the name suggests, this group is, by far, the most convenient. Only one press of the button and your latte will be prepared. However, a lot of flavors can end up lost in this automated process.
- Pre-infusion – This group of machines allows coffee to degas and soak evenly before full pressurized brewing. That will enable you to get a more balanced and flavored taste. But, you need a reasonable amount of skill for this.
2. Latte-only Or Multi-purpose
- Some of the latte machines out there are designed to prepare other coffee-based beverages as well. They also tend to be pretty substantial both in terms of dimensions and price. And that is perfectly ok if you can afford yourself these things.
- But, if you are operating in a limited space, we would suggest that you try to get one of the smaller and more compact products that are focused solely on the latte.
- Here, the math should be simple. The more robust materials produce more consistent performance and last longer. So, ideally, you should look for lightweight and durable options like aluminum or stainless steel. But, these latte machines also tend to cost a small fortune.
- If you want to get a more affordable option, hard plastic will serve as a good enough of a replacement.
4. Ease Of Maintenance
- Finding a machine that is easy to maintain is not necessary only in terms of convenience. The machine parts that are hard to clean tend to pick up and accumulate coffee grinds from previous uses and ruin the flavor and consistency of your future cups.
- So, we strongly recommend that you get yourself a unit that features a descaler that easily removes mineral leftovers inside the machine, all while sanitizing the reservoir in the process.
5. Manual Controls Vs. Electronic Interface
- Both these means of input have their own advantages and a couple of drawbacks. For instance, electronic controls are definitely more comfortable to handle for beginners and offer many pre-set options. The units that use them are often costly and do lose some flavor in the process.
- Manual controls, on the other hand, are far more affordable, and with enough practice, they will turn you into a real barista.
6. Coffee And Water Capacity
- Although common sense tells that “the more is better” in the case of latte machines, that doesn’t have to be the case. Sure, being able to use more coffee in one run without the need for refilling is definitely nice.
- But, the water that stays too long in the container tends to become stale and spoils the latte you get in the end. So, look for larger tanks only if you are going to prepare a latte for several people on a daily basis.
7. Milk Frothers And Steam Wands
- Both these things are crucial for essential barista experience. Milk frothers do entail a bit more effort put into maintenance, but they will get this chore off your shoulders. Look for automatic frothers for optimal convenience.
- The steam wands, on the other hand, are usually found in multi-purpose units. But, if you can get one in your latte machine, you will be able to turn your milk into one incredibly pleasant, bubbly piece of heaven.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
And we are finally at the very end, which means it’s the time to round these products up and see which one of them is the best latte machine the money can currently buy. Honestly, all these products are doing something unique, and no matter which one you eventually choose, you won’t regret it.
But, we do have our own opinion on the whole matter. So here are our top three picks for beautiful latte-powered mornings.
Best latte machine overall: Mr. Coffee One-Touch CoffeeHouse Espresso Maker
- No matter whether you are an experienced barista or you simply want your latte without having to put too much thought to it, you will be able to get something out of this unit’s versatile performance. Throw into the mix reliable build quality and affordable price, and you will get an easy top pick.
Best premium latte machine: Breville BES870BSXL The Barista Express Coffee Machine
- Breville is a beast, and this coffee maker is the perfect representative of the power of this famous brand. You do need to pay slightly more than for the competitor coming from Mr. Coffee, and there are some minor flaws here and there, but the coffee you get with this one is hard to find elsewhere.
Best affordable latte machine: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine
- This machine does not have any high aspirations. But, most of the latte lovers out there don’t have them either. They only want a simple and affordable tool to get them their favorite beverage with as least effort as possible. Nescafe Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine checks all these boxes and offers much, much more.