Top 5 Best Kitchen Torches 2021:
- Jo Chef Kitchen Torch
- Rösle Crème Brulee Adjustable Kitchen Torch
- EurKitchen Culinary Cooking Butane Torch
- GiBot Blow Torch Lighter
- Iwatani PRO2 Culinary Butane Torch
Have you ever watched a cooking show and saw a chef wield a gun-like kitchen tool that spews flames on their dishes and desserts?
That impressive piece of kitchenware is something called a kitchen torch! Also known as a cooking torch or a culinary torch, these tools are a type of butane torch. Kitchen torches can reach temperatures as high as 1400 degrees Celsius! This temperature is high enough to bring out textures and flavors in the meal you’re cooking.
So, if you’re serious about improving your kitchen prowess, or you simply want to try out a new cooking technique, a cooking torch is a must-have. Not only will this tool allow you to make that delicate, gorgeous crust on top of the Crème Brulee, but they can do other things too like charing peppers.
Unfortunately, picking the best kitchen torch for your needs can be quite tricky. These kitchen tools come in many shapes and sizes, all offering a different feature set. This is why it’s so easy to get a torch you’ll end up using once or twice because it was either too unsafe or too hot.
But don’t worry. We’ve done the necessary research, so you don’t have to! Keep on reading and find out what are the five best kitchen torches on the market. And if you want to learn how to pick the best one for your needs, you can check out our buying guide at the bottom of the article.
So, let’s just jump right into the reviews!
5 Best Kitchen Torches In 2021: Detailed Reviews
Before we teach you how to pick the best kitchen torch for your needs, you can check out our top five picks. We made sure to include a wide variety of models, so there’s something for anyone’s budget.
1. Jo Chef Kitchen Torch – Editor’s Pick
When it comes to cooking, the quality of kitchenware you use is just as important as the quality of the ingredients you use. This is why it’s always smarter to go for a more expensive option when it comes to choosing kitchen tools.
When it comes to kitchen torches, the two main factors you should keep in mind are safety and build quality. And we’re happy to report that the Jo Chef Kitchen torch offers both!
This professional-grade culinary torch is made out of high-grade aluminum. It features a small fuel gauge right above the base, so you know when you need to refill it. The base is wide enough to ensure this torch won’t fall to its side while you’re doing other work.
The safety features this culinary torch comes with is simply amazing. The Jo Chef comes with an anti-flare technology, and it also features a safety lock that’s located right next to the ignition button.
What’s more, the nozzle is quite long, and it’s also angled, ensuring the flame doesn’t come anywhere close to your hand. This torch also comes with an adjustment knob ensuring you get the perfect amount of flame for your dish.
- Anti-flare technology
- Fuel gauge
- Solid construction
- High-quality nozzle
- Not very compact
2. Rösle Crème Brulee Adjustable Kitchen Torch – Runner Up
Do you love hosting dinner parties? Do you want to impress your friends with your cooking prowess? If the answer was “Yes” to either of those questions, then we recommend you can give Rösle Crème Brulee Adjustable Kitchen Torch a try.
This German-made kitchen torch oozes style and premium-quality. Everything from the highly-polished 18/10-grade stainless steel canister to the sturdy white plastic burner looks like something straight out of a professional kitchen.
Whether you want to make delicious Crème Brulee or out-of-this-world roasted tomatoes, the Rösle kitchen torch will have you covered. The torch lights up with one press of a button, and It can reach temperatures up to 1400-degrees Celsius. The flame is consistent and continuous, so you don’t have to worry about ruining your culinary masterpiece.
The Rösle is not just stylish but quite ergonomic too. The canister offers a decent grip, and there’s a childproof safety switch ensuring accidental ignition.
This kitchen torch is refillable and is compatible with both butane and propane gas. And on top of that, it comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Superb quality
- Excellent design
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
3. EurKitchen Culinary Cooking Butane Torch – Best For Crème Brulee
A genuinely heavenly Crème Brulee requires a delicate, but fearless hand. The EurKitchen Culinary Cooking Butane Torch ensures you will never in your life create a bad batch of this delicious dessert.
This kitchen torch features an all-in-one compact design that can hold up to 12 grams of butane. To make sure you don’t end up with a dry torch in the middle of your food prep, there is a fuel gauge located on the side of the canister.
And if you want to save a couple of bucks, the EurKitchen kitchen torch is also available without a fuel gauge. Even though this feature is quite useful if you’re on a limited budget, you can still give this torch a try.
Don’t worry about getting close and personal with this torch. The EurKitchen features a finger guard that ensures you won’t singe your fingers no matter how big the flame is. And this flame can get quite big, up to six inches.
Since this torch doesn’t utilize a trigger but a control knob, you’re ensured a steady and even flow of heat. You will never end up with a half-crisped, and half-burnt Crème Brulee in your life.
- Excellent safety features
- Perfect for Crème Brulee
- Unstable stand
4. GiBot Blow Torch Lighter – Most Affordable Kitchen Torch
If you’re just starting out with your culinary experiments and don’t want to overspend on kitchen gadgets, the GiBot Blow Torch Lighter might be of interest to you.
The thing we liked the most about this kitchen torch is the location of the flame controls. You won’t find it on the base of the torch. Instead, it’s located on the body of the device. This makes it much easier to adjust the flame mid-use.
In fact, when you take a closer look, you quickly realize how much work has been put into making this torch incredibly user-friendly. A great example of this is the trigger. Instead of having one, this torch utilizes the flame control knob as a trigger. To turn the GiBot on, you turn the knob clockwise, and to turn it off, just turn the knob counterclockwise.
Another cool thing about this torch is the continuous flame feature. It allows you to have the torch lit for up to five minutes, which is quite useful since you won have to continually fiddle with the adjustment knob.
Unfortunately, because the GiBot is quite affordable, some sacrifices had to be made. This torch can hold up to 10 grams of butane gas, which is really low compared to the other products we showcased in this list.
- Low capacity
5. Iwatani PRO2 Culinary Butane Torch – Biggest Capacity
This torch from the famed Japanese manufacturer Iwatani is a more portable alternative to traditional kitchen torches.
Simply put, this torch consists of nozzle and flame controls, which can be attached to just about any butane canister. In fact, you need a butane canister for this torch to work because it doesn’t come with one.
The Iwatani PRO2 is an excellent choice if you think traditional kitchen torches offer to little capacity or if you like traveling and don’t want to be burdened down. You can find butane canisters in just about any gas station or convenience store, and you won’t have to worry about refilling.
This incredibly sturdy torch also comes with a safety plate that firmly locks to the canister, ensuring it won’t topple over.
Thanks to the Piezo ignition technology, this torch will light up with just one squeeze of the trigger. And that’s not all. It also comes with separate knobs for flame intensity and shape. What this means is that you can use this kitchen torch for anything from caramelizing to charring.
- Separate knobs for controlling flame intensity and shape
- Easy to light up
- Requires a butane canister to work
What Are Kitchen Torches And Why Do You Need One?
A kitchen torch is basically a scaled-down butane torch commonly used to caramelize Crème Brulee, roast peppers, melting cheese, and many other things. These tools are used anywhere where you need to quickly toast or melt something.
What’s more, you may have seen these torches being used by other professionals than just cooks. They are also used for plumbing work, for soldering, lab work, or just about any other situation where you need a gas torch.
All this is well and good, but why should you get one. Well, you can use this kitchen tool for more than just making Crème Brulee.
For instance, you can cover a couple of slices of banana with sugar, blast them with the torch, throw it into a bowl of oatmeal, and you have a perfectly tasty breakfast.
You can improve an already perfect cup of matcha hot chocolate with a couple of torched marshmallows.
This is not where the uses of this incredibly versatile tool end. With a kitchen torch, you can also make Baked Alaska sandwiches, an excellent ice cream dessert from the 1950s. Not just that, but if you can get your hands on sushi-grade raw salmon, you can make nigiri and blast the top for a richer taste. You can also blast a finished steak for a traditional cast-iron searing.
The real beauty of cooking torches lies in their ability to bring out smokey and nutty flavors only grills and broilers can make.
While home broilers can only reach a max temperature of 260-degrees Celsius, a kitchen torch can reach almost 1500-degrees Celsius.
So as you can see, these tools ensure you can make anything from crackly sugar crust to perfectly charred peppers without turning on any additional appliances.
5 Factors You Should Consider When Buying A Kitchen Torch
Although kitchen torches have been around for quite some time, most people are still unfamiliar with them. So, if you’ve decided to get one for yourself, here are a couple of things you should keep in mind when looking for the best kitchen torch for your needs.
1. Adjustable Flame
- Different recipes require different types of flames. This is why any kitchen worth its price will come with the option of adjusting the characteristics of the flame.
- Some kitchen torches feature a flame-adjusting wheel located somewhere on the flame tube. Other torches have this dial situated lower down, near where the canister attaches to the kitchen torch itself. Some will have an adjustment knob on the butt of the handle.
- No matter where the adjustment knob is located, it is essential to get a model that allows you to adjust the intensity of the flame. This option determines how versatile the kitchen torch is.
2. Handle Ergonomics
- Although you might not place handle ergonomics on the top of the list, it is more critical as you might think.
- When it comes to most contemporary kitchen torches, the butane canister simply slips into the handle and disappears. You then grab the torch by the handle and operate it. This is why this shell must offer a secure and safe grip, so it doesn’t slip out of your hand and starts a fire.
- Thankfully, most kitchen torches are designed to provide a comfortable, stable grip. In any case, you should pay attention to the overall design of the torch and get one that offers the best grip.
3. Burn Time
- The burn time refers to how long the kitchen torch can operate continuously before overheating or breaking down. Most models offer anywhere from half an hour, up to an hour of burn time. Some high-end models can work for a whopping two hours before overheating.
- Burn time isn’t as important as other factors like safety. However, it is good to know for how long you can have it on, so you don’t end up with a dead torch in the middle of doing something important.
- Since kitchen torches are basically regular blow torches, it is essential to get a model that has enough safety features. When looking for a kitchen torch, make sure they have these safety features:
- A heat shield – Because you’ll have your knuckles inches away from a hot flame, having a heat shield is a must. Otherwise, you can end up with some severe burns.
- A flame guard – will ensure the flame doesn’t flare out when you’re adjusting it.
- A high-quality nozzle – ensures the torch won’t melt when reaching peak temperatures of 1400-degrees Celsius. This is why we recommend you look for a model that has an aluminum or stainless steel nozzle.
- Safety lock – is a must-have safety feature because it will prevent others from picking the torch up and accidentally firing it, especially kids.
5. Build Quality
- As is the case with just about any type of kitchenware, you’d want it to be reasonably durable. This is even more important for kitchen torches since they work at extremely high temperatures.
- This is why we recommend you look for a model that’s built out of high-grade aluminum, stainless steel, and ABS plastic. These materials will stand the test of time and won’t get damaged by other items you have lying around your kitchen cabinet.
Before we let you off to your next culinary adventure, we have to tally up the final results.
If you’re looking for the best kitchen torch, we recommend the Jo Chef Kitchen Torch. Everything about this product is premium-quality, from the aluminum body to superb safety features.
The runner up is the Rösle Crème Brulee Adjustable Kitchen Torch. This torch offers the same quality as our first pick. However, this is a more expensive option.
If you’re looking for a torch specifically designed for Crème Brulee, your best choice is the EurKitchen Culinary Cooking Butane Torch. Decently priced and with the reliable overall build quality, this kitchen torch will help you make many tasty desserts before you have to replace it.