Top 5 Best Ice Cream Makers 2020:
- Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Maker
- Whynter ICM-15LS Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisinart ICE-21P1 1.5-Quart Frozen Yogurt – Ice Cream Maker
- Nostalgia Electrics ICMP400BLUE 4-Quart Blue Bucket Electric Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisinart ICE-100 Ice Cream Maker
What is your favorite ice cream?
We bet that it took you only a few seconds to name a favorite supermarket pint. Unfortunately, we have some bad news. You could be enjoying a much better ice cream than any you can ever buy at the store.
What is the secret?
Whipping up your own frozen treats allows you to make them far more creative, tastier, and healthier. Homemade ice cream can be more delicious than any store-bought. You only need to invest some money in the best ice cream maker, and you can start making magic at your home.
Since you are already urged to stay at home, you can at least make the best of your time and try out some delicious ice cream recipes, quell your sugar cravings and fight the scorching summer heat.
So, let’s find you the ice cream maker and make it happen!
5 Best Ice Cream Makers In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Maker – The best unit with compressor technology
If you want a high-quality machine, and do not mind a high price tag, check out the Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Maker. It will enable you to make premium-quality ice cream at your home with minimal effort.
Besides being versatile, this machine is made from high-quality components and should last you a lifetime. It is easy to use, too, even though it offers multiple settings.
Thanks to the prechill function, you can get the machine ready and avoid any waiting. The mix-in feature allows you to enjoy free time while your frozen treat is getting ready- it will beep to remind you when it is time to add swirls and nuts and make it even more delicious.
You can also control the speed of the blade and thus make many different styles of ice cream, including the sorbet, frozen yogurt, and gelato. You simply select the treat you want to make, and the machine automatically senses the hardness of the mixture based on your selection.
The capacity of up to 1.5 quarts of frozen delight should be quite enough for an average family. The bowl is easily taken out when you need to clean it, and it is dishwasher safe too.
- Variable speed blade
- Can make a variety of different styles of ice cream
- Mix-in feature
- Automatic sensor
- Twelve different settings
- Dishwasher-safe bowl
- Reliable and durable
- High price
2. Cuisinart ICE-100 Ice Cream Maker – Mid-range price unit of high quality
If you want the same capacity and similar quality at a lower price, check out our next contender, the Cuisinart ICE-100 Ice Cream Maker. It is another ice cream maker with the modern compressor technology but on a budget.
Cuisinart is a reputable company that made its name by producing a range of excellent frozen-bowl machines -this compressor model lives up to the good tradition. Besides, the new technology cuts down the waiting time as there is no need to freeze the ice cream mixing bowl anymore.
The unit features two distinct mixing paddles – one for gelato, and the other for the traditional ice cream. There is a 60-minute countdown timer too that guarantees the perfect consistency of any frozen treat you are making. The 10-minute keep cool feature will keep your dessert cool even when the timer has gone off.
The Cuisinart ICE-100 might be a bit bulky and heavy, but if your kitchen space is not limited, it is well worth sacrificing it. It is easy to clean and BPA-free too. It is very quiet while operating so you can have a rest while waiting for a timer to sound off.
- Commercial quality at a reasonable price
- Two paddles for gelato and traditional ice cream
- Keep cool feature
- Countdown timer
- Quiet operation
- 1.5-quart capacity
- Bulky and hard to store
3. Cuisinart ICE-21P1 1.5-Quart Frozen Yogurt – Ice Cream Maker – The best frozen-bowl unit
Any dedicated churner will surely like the Cuisinart ICE-21P1 1.5-Quart Frozen Yogurt – Ice Cream Maker. It is a perfect machine for home use. The price is quite manageable too. Most people can afford it and start enjoying high quality, super-tasty ice cream at their home.
Before you run off to buy this machine, make sure you have enough space in your freezer for the double-insulated freezer bowl. Also, consider the additional time you will require to prepare frozen treats. Namely, it takes 24 to 48 hours to properly freeze this bowl and get it ready.
If you can accept the Cuisinart ICE-21P1 ice cream maker’s requirements, you will be getting a reliable machine with a powerful motor and unique mixing paddle. Once the bowl is frozen solid, it will take only twenty minutes more to get the ice-cream ready to serve.
The Cuisinart ICE-21P1 is very simple to operate. It is very quiet too. Since it is compact, you can easily store it away when not in use. Ingredient spout allows you to add chocolate chips or nuts without interrupting the freezing process.
- Compact and affordable unit
- Heavy-duty motor
- Double-insulated freezer bowl
- Non-slip rubber feet
- The cord goes into the base for easier storage
- Makes frozen yogurt, ice cream, sorbet, and frozen drinks
- The bowl takes long to freeze
4. Nostalgia Electrics ICMP400BLUE 4-Quart Blue Bucket Electric Ice Cream Maker – Old-fashion looking portable unit
Nostalgia Electrics ICMP400BLUE 4-Quart Blue Bucket Electric Ice Cream Maker is an old-fashioned looking machine that helps modern families enjoy high-quality homemade ice cream even when away from home. If you travel often, you too can rely on this 4-quart ice cream machine from Nostalgia and not miss out on homemade frozen desserts while you are on the go.
Nostalgia ice cream makers are well known for their convenience and superb performance, and this model is no exception. Thanks to the convenient carrying handle, you can bring the Nostalgia Electrics ICMP400BLUE ice cream maker wherever you go and create special memories.
You will be able to use your favorite fresh ingredients and enjoy your favorite ice cream flavors in only half an hour and with almost no effort. It is easy to use, and the electric motor eliminates the tiresome churning that was once necessary in order to make homemade ice cream. You can use it for gelato or frozen yogurt too.
If you do not eat all of the ice cream at once, you can easily freeze the rest – just use the included lid to cover the bowl and put it in your freezer. Unfortunately, the plastic seems to be of poor quality, and that might compromise the durability of the entire machine.
- Vintage look
- The electric motor takes care of tiresome churning for you
- Includes recipes
- The plastic seems to be of poor quality
5. Whynter ICM-15LS Ice Cream Maker – The best quality and price ratio unit
Many professional users are quite satisfied with the Whynter ICM-15LS Ice Cream Maker, so we had to give it a try. We’ll tell you right away – it did not disappoint! It is definitely one of the best ice cream-making machines that you can buy in its price range.
This self-contained frozen dessert maker will deliver 1.6 quarts of ice cream in a single batch. As it utilizes compressor technology, there is no need to pre-freeze the bowl or plan anything. Simply fill the removable bowl with the ice cream mixture, and the churning blade will do the hard job instead of you. You can go by your business, thanks to the automatic shut off feature there is no risk that your ice cream will get frozen solid or that the machine will get damaged.
The stainless steel exterior can be easily wiped clean, while the removable bowl and churn blade are easy to hand wash and store. Unfortunately, none of the components is dishwasher safe. The machine is a bit loud too.
This user-friendly ice cream maker is built to last, so you should be able to enjoy it for years to come. Your homemade ice cream will be done in less than an hour, so you can even serve it to surprise guests.
- Excellent price and quality ratio
- High-efficiency CFC-free compressor
- Built-in audible timer
- Automatic shut off feature
- Stainless steel exterior
- Removable bowl
- Loud operation
- Components are not dishwasher safe
Why Buy An Ice Cream Maker?
1. It Gives You The Freedom To Choose Your Ingredients
- There is nothing sweeter than whipping up ice cream to your liking. When you are preparing this summer treat on your own, you have the complete freedom to choose the ingredients. Besides the fact that you’ll choose the ones to your taste, there is also an advantage of controlling their quality. You can opt for organic or home-grown products.
- You can experiment with recipes too and use healthier alternatives. For example, try using stevia instead of regular white sugar or almond or coconut milk instead of traditional dairy products. If you like chocolate flavor, use cacao powder. Bananas and almond butter can substitute cream. With a little bit of creativity, you can easily make your favorite frozen delight vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, or at least cut down on calories.
2. You Can Avoid Harmful Additives
- Store-bought ice creams are usually high on mystery ingredients labeled with combinations of letters and numbers. They all have one thing in common – they are not good for you! If you make your ice cream at home, you can avoid the stabilizers and emulsifiers found in commercial ice creams and preserve your health.
3. You Can Make Frozen Yogurt Or Sorbet Too
- Most of the ice cream makers can also make frozen yogurt and sorbet. If you choose such a device, you can enjoy countless combinations of fresh ingredients and various frozen treats without having to leave your home.
How To Choose The Best Ice Cream Maker For Your Home?
Now that we have established why you need an ice cream maker, it would be only fair to help you find one that will not disappoint you. You need to consider the following things:
Ice cream makers come in two categories:
- Machines That Require You To Freeze The Bowl In Advance:
- They are more compact and best suited for people with limited kitchen space. Besides, they are usually more affordable too.
- How do they work? The bowl has liquid trapped between the walls, and all you need to do is put it in your freezer and wait until it becomes frozen solid. Make sure the bowl can fit into your freezer and monitor the machine while working to avoid icing up your ice cream.
- Machines With Built-in Freezer Units:
- Machines with a built-in freezer are larger and expensive, but more convenient too. You simply push a button, add the ice-cream mixture after a few minutes, and the machine does the rest. You can often choose the type of dessert you want to prepare (gelato, frozen yogurt, sorbet, or the traditional ice cream). The machine stops automatically after the designated time, so there is no need to monitor the process.
2. Freezing Method
- In order to create ice cream, ice cream makers need to maintain low temperatures. As you could already see in the previous section, there are different technologies to achieve that.
- Sometimes you need to freeze the bowl in advance. You usually need to keep it in a freezer for 24 hours. It makes the process a bit long, but if you plan the things ahead, that should not be a problem.
- The soft serve technology is a modern alternative to the traditional one. It eliminates the need to freeze the ice cream after churning and thus speeds up the process significantly. You can serve the frozen treats right out of the machine. Some models require the use of rock salt and ice, though.
- The compressor technology is the latest technology that has taken the industry by storm. The machines that utilize this technology keep the ice cream frozen. They also enable you to make continuous batches.
- Match the capacity of the unit you buy to the size of your family. You want to be able to serve ice cream treats to everyone. Compressor units offer the highest capacity and are the best option for high demand supplies.
4. Time And Efficiency
- It is essential to know how long it will take you to make homemade ice cream. It, once again, greatly depends on the type of machine and the freezing technology it uses.
- As we have mentioned previously, if the machine requires pre-freezing, you might have to plan a whole day ahead. If you often need to make a couple of batches at a go, that is unacceptable, and you have to pay more and get the machine that uses compressor technology and freezes the ice cream in a short amount of time with no need to do anything ahead.
5. Ease Of Use
- The ease of use depends on technology too. The more sophisticated machine is, the easier it is to use. At least in the majority of cases.
- Of course, modern men and women prefer electric ice cream makers that completely eliminate the hassle of whipping this delicious icy treat by hand. Why waste valuable time when you can enjoy it elsewhere while your ice cream maker does the hard job for you!
- Even the wealthiest among us have a budget and price is always worth considering. Before purchasing an ice cream maker, make sure it balances price and quality well. The ice cream machines have a vast price range, and you can often find a good deal if you spend some time browsing.
It can be a bit challenging to choose the best ice cream maker, especially if it’s your first contact with such appliances. These machines come in different shapes and sizes and utilize different technologies, which can puzzle you and make you indecisive.
If you have carefully read the buying guide we have provided, you should have enough information to make a sensible purchase. If you are still on the fence, here are our final recommendations:
Our top choice is definitely the Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Maker. If you cannot afford it and you still want to enjoy the convenience of the compressor technology, you can choose the Whynter ICM-15LS Ice Cream Maker.
The best frozen-bowl unit, Cuisinart ICE-21P1 1.5-Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker, allows you to save money and still enjoy delicious homemade frozen desserts. If you are good at planning, this is the best ice cream maker for you!
It doesn’t really matter which unit you will choose – they will all help you make excellent icy-cold treats to cool off this summer!