Top 5 Best Hand Mixers 2020:
- VonShef BLUE Hand Mixer
- KitchenAid KHM7210ACS Digital Hand Mixer
- Proctor Silex Hand Mixer
- KitchenAid KHM512CL Hand Mixer
- Cuisinart HM-70BSLT Hand Mixer
Making cookie dough can be an exhausting process without proper tools, especially if you want to decorate your cookies with some whipped cream.
That is why everyone should have the ultimate kitchen assistant – hand mixer! If you don’t have a hand mixer, now is the right time to buy one.
Because today, these units have so many different speed options and other exciting features, that they nearly do it all by themselves!
Hand mixers come in different styles and with some useful accessories. They’re even lighter and easier to store than their famous cousins – stand mixers.
We’ve done some research and testing to determine which one is the best hand mixer on the market. We also included some essential things you should consider if you’re on the fence of buying one!
5 Best Hand Mixers In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. VonShef BLUE Hand Mixer – Editor’s Choice
The stylish design of this VonShef hand mixer took over our hearts. On top of it, it provided the best results during our testing, so we quickly declared our winner!
First of all, it comes in retro design, in turquoise blue color. It is 7 inches long, 4 inches wide and 3 inches high, and the finger-shaped handle is very comfortable and easy to grip. This compact mixer weighs almost 3 pounds, which we didn’t mind so much, but it could be a problem if you’re going to beat the frosting for a few extra minutes.
VonShef mixer has 250 watts of mixing power and 5 different speed settings. The eject button ensures easy beaters removal, and this mixer also includes a turbo speed button. What’s more, it comes with a few useful attachments – 2 balloon beaters, 2 dough hooks, and 1 whisk.
Stainless steel beaters served us pretty well. We didn’t like the thin beater blades design, and the balloon whisk is a little flimsy. Also, it struggled while mixing the cookie dough, but it did the job well.
Nevertheless, this mixer is great at mixing and whisking smaller quantities and very good at whisking the double cream. All parts are dishwasher safe, so it was also easy to clean. All in all, an excellent mixer for a great price!
- Stainless steel blades
- Shaped handle easy to grip
- Good at whisking double cream
- Flimsy balloon whisk
- Thin beater blades
- Struggled to knead the dough
2. KitchenAid KHM7210ACS Digital Hand Mixer – Runner Up
Famous KitchenAid, the king of mixers, is best known for its quality units and usually takes the first place in everyone’s list. But for cost reasons, this mixer took second place on our list.
Coming in a simple yet elegant design, this mixer weighs around 3 pounds, which isn’t a very lightweight option. It’s 9,5 inches long, 8 inches wide and 6 inches high, which makes this unit a little big for our taste.
However, this hand mixer is the best for heavy-duty purposes such as thick masses. The best of all, it isn’t noisy, so you can mix early in the morning without waking up your entire family!
This powerful mixer operates on 120 watts and has 7 different speeds and a soft start feature. This useful feature brings the beaters up to the selected speed slowly, to prevent splattering. It also has an option to lock your cord from the left or the right side, so the cable doesn’t stand in your way.
The only thing we didn’t like is the fact that the base of the mixer is rounded and so it can’t fully stand on its own. Also, you’re doing a lot of thinking about what you’re actually pressing while using it, so we find the controls unintuitive to set and a little confusing.
Lastly, it’s very easy to clean as the parts are dishwasher-safe!
- Soft start feature
- Lock cord feature
- Best for heavy-duty purposes
- Isn’t noisy
- Not so easy to use
- Not able to stand entirely on its own
3. Proctor Silex Hand Mixer – Budget-Friendly Choice
If you’re looking for the mixer you’ll use now and then for mixing light masses such as cake frosting or whipped cream, this Proctor Silex hand mixer will be your best friend!
Coming at a very affordable price, this white, simple-looking hand mixer weighs only 1 pound, thus it won’t feel like lead after 5 minutes of mixing. Moreover, it is 6 inches long, 7,5 inches wide, and 3,5 inches high, thus very easy to store.
The cord is coming from the right side of the mixer, and you can’t lock it, which can be a problem for the lefthanders. However, the attachments are very easy to put in and detach, which is a plus from us.
It operates at 100 watts and has 5 different speed options. But, we have to admit we didn’t really notice the difference between the speeds and the slowest one is still a bit fast. It struggled with thick mixtures, and the stainless steel balloon beaters are too short for our taste.
Nonetheless, this model has a unique bowl rest feature, to free up your hands. You just have to lean the mixer on the edge of the bowl, and it stands on its own!
- Very affordable
- The attachments are easy to detach
- Bowl rest feature
- Short beaters
- Doesn’t do well with thick mixtures
- Hard to differentiate the speeds
4. KitchenAid KHM512CL Hand Mixer – Amongst The Top Rated
You’re looking for the hand mixer that will fit into your kitchen design? No problem! This KitchenAid model comes in every possible color you could imagine, and it’s one fun and cool looking kitchen accessory!
This is the second model from KitchenAid that we really liked. The shiny and sleek design won us over, and the fact that it weighs 2 pounds makes this mixer perfect for any task!
It’s 8 inches long, 3,5 inches wide and 6 inches high, and it has a very stable base so it can stand on its own! The lockable cord was handy as we didn’t have to move it from side to side the entire time.
It has 60 watts of mixing power and 5 different speeds. Also, the turbo speed was beneficial, and it cut down our mixing process in half! With its slow start feature, it doesn’t produce any splattering, and we also really liked the quality, stainless steel beaters. The beaters are also long enough so you can mix the ingredients in the deep bowl too.
The rubber-coated handle is easy to grip, but a few times we accidentally changed the speed because the control buttons are so close to your hand, which is a little drawback for us. Also, it doesn’t come with additional accessories for that price.
Even so, it’s straightforward to clean and store, which is a big plus!
- Start slow feature
- Lockable cord
- Long, quality beaters
- Easy to clean
- Very stable
- The buttons are very close to your hand
- Doesn’t come with additional accessories
5. Cuisinart HM-70BSLT Hand Mixer – Best for thick mixtures
The absolute whacker of our list is this Cuisinart HM-70BSLT hand mixer!
This mixer comes in silver color, and it’s exquisite, but it weighs around 3 lbs, which is a little heavy for our taste. It is 9 inches long, 5 inches wide and 6 inches high, making this mixer a little bulky and not so easy to store.
This powerful mixer operates on 220 watts and has 7 different speed options. The smooth start option is included with three different speeds, although it still produced a lot of splattering around our kitchen counter. But the power of this mixer, its speed, and weight are just perfect for mixing the thick masses like doughnut mixture and chocolate chip cookies.
It is easy to grip on, and the control buttons are straightforward to use. Moreover, it can stand on its own as it has a stable base.
The beaters are long and did the job pretty well, but they are not from stainless steel, so you should not put them in the dishwasher. However, the whisk attachment that comes with this mixer surprised us with its mixing abilities!
- Easy to use
- Suitable for harder tasks
- Good whisk attachment
- Smooth start option with three different speeds
- Bulky and heavy
- Not quality beaters
What To Consider Before Buying A Hand Mixer?
1. Speed Settings
- The more speeds your mixer has, the more control you will have over your creation. Hand mixers can have between 3 to even 10 speeds to choose from, and it all depends on what you’re making.
- For example, if you are folding and combining ingredients, you will need slow speed while for egg whites and whipped cream, you will need higher speed. Although, most of these hand mixers today have at least 3-5 speeds included, which is certainly enough for any homemade recipe.
- Furthermore, some mixers have turbo speeds, so you can mix your ingredients at the highest speed for as long as you need it. But more often than not, you’ll need for your lowest speed to actually be slow.
- The slowest speed allows you to properly mix some of the finest ingredients, without making a mess. We always recommend testing the speeds if possible. If not, you can always rely on product descriptions and other reviews.
- This is a significant factor in terms of easy usage. Speeds should be easy to change, and controls should be easy to access. You don’t want to struggle with the mixer in one hand while holding the bowl with the other hand. It can result in the wrong speed, and only a few seconds is enough to ruin your mixture.
- We realized this after one mixer accidentally fell off the countertop during our testing. It resulted in so much mess!
- The mixer base should be stable enough to stand on its own without the cord getting in the way. If the base is too small, the mixer will keep toppling over, which can be really frustrating.
- We recommend always picking the ones with a flat base surface, that don’t have curves or roundings towards the bottom of the mixer. This also includes the angle of the power cord, because it can interfere with stability too. Additionally, you can find the ones with a bowl rest feature as we did with the Proctor Silex hand mixer!
4. The Shape Of The Beaters
- All of the hand mixers have twin beaters that come in so many different shapes. The shape of the beaters will usually depend on what you are mixing. So-called ‘balloon whisks’ (rounded whisks) are great for gentle and light whisking, while the hook-shaped ones make kneading dough simple. Some of the beaters even have a little twist in the beater attachments, making the mixing process even faster and easier!
- Even the lightest hand mixers can become tiring to hold after 2 minutes. If you are about to make a butter that needs 5 minutes of beating, you wouldn’t want your arms giving up on you halfway through the process. Also, you don’t want a mixer that is too light because it can be harder to control, and it can fall over quickly.
- We recommend buying the mixer that weighs around 1,5 pounds without the attachments. If you can’t pick it up in the store to find out its weight, always check the product description.
- This may come as a surprise, but the higher wattage doesn’t necessarily mean it is a higher quality mixer. The watts don’t refer to how much it goes out of your mixer, but how much it goes into your mixer.
- Higher quality gears inside the mixer need less wattage power to operate! The 200-watt hand mixer worked just fine for us, but it’s up to you in the end.
7. Best Hand Mixer Features To Consider
- This function produces a small burst of power that allows you to remove the excess mixture from the beaters by pressing on a button. This leaves no mess in the kitchen!
- This produces a quick burst of power, and it allows you to mix at the highest speed.
- Cleaning the attachments that come with a hand mixer can sometimes be a fuss. So, this feature is a big plus.
- You certainly don’t want your mixer slipping out of your hands as you mix. The handle of the mixer should be ergonomic and comfortable to hold, and you should consider buying the one with silicone or rubber grips, as these are non-slip.
- We recommend buying the unit with a variety of attachments like a whisk, spatula, or dough hook. Stainless steel ones are the most durable, but if you’re worried about scratching them, find the ones that come with a silicone coating.
- If you’re mixing up some pancakes on a Saturday morning and you don’t want to wake up your kids, this feature is something you might want to consider.
- Don’t assume the stylish-looking, and expensive mixers will provide better results. In fact, some of the famous brands have some good-looking hand mixers, but they are impractical and usually cumbersome.
- On the other hand, there are many affordable hand mixers on the market with so many exciting features. Specifications of the mixer determine its cost. And while the price can range from 15$ up to 200$, we recommend buying the one made of high-end materials and with durable beating blades.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Whether you are a serious baker or just make chocolate chip cookies now and then, this kitchen appliance will be your best assistant. You can get surprisingly great results from a hand mixer, plus they are less expensive and easy to stash away, unlike stand models.
At last, our task here is done. Even though the market offers so many great and affordable hand mixers, it was not easy choosing the best ones. But if we have to choose, here are our winners:
Editor’s Choice: VonShef BLUE Hand Mixer
- The best overall for this round is definitely the VonShef hand mixer! Besides its stylish and sleek design, it will amaze you with its power and stainless steel beaters. Works the best at whisking double cream!
Runner Up: KitchenAid KHM7210ACS Digital Hand Mixer
- The second place took the KitchenAid hand mixer, and we don’t regret a penny! This mixer has astonishing 7 speeds and can mix everything from whipped cream to oatmeal cookies. It comes with a few exciting features, and you can lock the cord for a better approach!
Budget-Friendly Choice: Proctor Silex Hand Mixer
- In our third place, we have the Proctor Silex hand mixer that works very well and for the low price. With 5 speeds, you can mix anything you like, and the smart design allows this mixer to rest on the bowl while you do other things!