Top 5 Best Counter Depth Refrigerators 2021:
- Frigidaire French Door Refrigerator
- Fisher Paykel Activesmart Refrigerator
- Avanti Apartment Size Refrigerator
- Danby Frost-Free Refrigerator
- Galanz Retro Refrigerator
Refrigerator is the one kitchen appliance that continues to grow in size. Looking back, the fridges on the market now are a lot bulkier in size than those twenty years ago.
When looking for a new refrigerator, all dimensions should be taken into consideration. But, the most important dimension of the refrigerator is depth. The sizes are roughly divided into two categories: regular and counter depth refrigerators.
Regular refrigerators stick out of your counter and take a good chunk of your floor place. This is why there is a smaller sized alternative: counter depth refrigerators.
Counter-depth refrigerators are flush with your kitchen cabinets, so everything looks aesthetically pleasing. This is a great option if you’re looking for a luxurious looking kitchen, or are just low on kitchen space. Either way, counter-depth fridges are great!
You’re looking into counter depth models of refrigerators or you’re just thinking about it? Read this article to see our choices for the best counter depth refrigerators!
5 Best Counter Depth Refrigerators In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Frigidaire French Door Refrigerator – Best Overall
Frigidaire refrigerator is our best overall option, and for many reasons. Stainless steel exterior with the extra features included in this model makes this fridge the superior choice.
Stainless steel is very easy to clean, as are glass shelves and plastic bins.
This is also the largest fridge on our list. 22 cubic feet of space, three large shelves, and multiple bins create lots of space for all of your food. Bins are specifically designed to fit more food than previous models. The door shelves are very roomy – fit a gallon easily.
Another thing inside is the ice maker, which is no longer placed inside the door. Now the door only holds the water cooler. However, some customers are complaining about the ice maker because it can take a long time to make ice.
The control panel is placed above the water cooler on the door, and it holds the thermostat. The fridge constantly adjusts the temperature so rest assured, your dishes are safe inside this refrigerator.
This model is frost-free, which further ensures hassle-free maintenance. Frigidaire french door refrigerator has an Energy Star certificate. One less thing to worry about when buying this model is energy usage.
So, all in all, many extra features and the great organization of space are the qualities that make this refrigerator a great buy. If you’re looking for a quality product without spending a fortune, this is it!
- Large door shelves
- Adjustable glass shelves
- Thermostat control and control panel
- In-door water cooler
- Ice can take forever to form
2. Fisher Paykel Activesmart Refrigerator – Premium Option
The Fisher Paykel Refrigerator is one of the best refrigerators on the market, but the hefty price requires that we place it in the best premium option. The contemporary design is the brand trademark.
The outside of the refrigerator is stainless steel, which is fancy but very convenient as well – fingerprints are wiped off with ease. Investing in this fridge means investing in a decorative kitchen appliance – this model will add style and sophistication to any kitchen.
The inside of the refrigerator is specifically designed to place the foods you need often at eye level, and the freezer is placed at the bottom. The inside has 17 cubic feet, making this one of the largest counter-depth fridges. The fridge has two doors that open into one zone.
The Fisher Paykel refrigerator is equipped with high-end features like optimal thermostat control. The fridge constantly checks how often you open the fridge and adjusts the temperature accordingly for the best results. Owning this fridge means never having to worry about food going bad!
The lighting choice in this fridge is LED. All three shelves are adjustable, made of glass, and easy to clean. The fridge is equipped with two produce bins and six adjustable door shelves. Unfortunately, a gallon can’t fit into the door.
The freezer space is small but functional, with one large and two small bins. There are ice trays included.
The additional feature worth mentioning is the vocal prompt the fridge makes when you leave the door open. All in all, this is the fridge to invest in if you’re looking for a long-lasting option with additional features.
- Large capacity
- Glass, adjustable shelves
- Ice trays included
- Thermostat controls
- A gallon can’t be placed on door shelves
3. Avanti Apartment Size Refrigerator – Budget-Friendly Pick
The Avanti Refrigerator is a great choice if you want an affordable, but quality appliance. Classic style combined with great performance are the symbols of this brane, and this model follows the company values.
The style is classic, with white glossy steel doors – super easy to clean and maintain. The door hinges are reversible to maximize space in your kitchen.
With 7 cubic feet of space, this fridge will be able to fit all of your groceries and leftover food. This fridge may seem small at first, but it’s equipped with four adjustable glass shelves. The two produce bins are see-through, so you’ll know when you’re running low on any produce. The door shelves can hold large bottles, but not a gallon ones, which is a flaw to an otherwise great appliance.
The Avanti fridge is frost-free as well. This may be a low-cost model compared to other fridges we mentioned, but its performance is remarkable.
The Energy Star certificate is something this fridge has as well. There is a wide range of temperature controls, which is something we deem very important.
- Adjustable glass shelves
- Reversible hinges
- Temperature controls
- A gallon can’t fit inside the door shelf
4. Danby Frost-Free Refrigerator – Simple Choice
Danby’s classic refrigerator is a good example of value-for-money as it will serve you for many years. Its simple design guarantees it will be a good fit in any kitchen.
This model is a top-freezer, which guarantees energy efficiency (top freezers use less energy than other types of fridges). This is a 10 cubic foot model, roomy enough for a small family. The Danby fridge will be a perfect fit for your cozy apartment or a small kitchen.
Integrated handles achieve that elegant appearance that everyone looks for when buying a counter-depth fridge. The handles are also reversible to completely fit your needs.
The refrigerator part has two wire shelves and a crisper drawer. This model can fit all of your food, and the drawer is of clear plastic so you can see if you’re running low on any vegetables. Something to keep in mind as well is that the drawer is on the bottom of the refrigerator and might be a bit of a hassle to pull out. For a 10 cubic foot model, it’s spacious enough with 3 door bins to fit all your beverages, even tall bottles of orange juice.
The freezer is equipped with a removable wire shelf and two door bins, organized to maximize space. The lighting inside is LED and it will be of assistance when looking for that last cup of jello. Equipped with an electronic thermostat, it gives you the power to adjust the temperature according to your preferences.
All in all, this fridge is a synonym for a good investment!
- LED lighting
- Temperature controls
- Wire shelves
- The drawer is hard to pull out
5. Galanz Retro Refrigerator – Most Stylish
Galanz Retro refrigerator is not for everyone. This is not just a refrigerator, it’s a style choice. With retro doors, it will give your kitchen a cool 60s vibe.
The exterior is made from steel, so this is a decorative but durable fridge. It comes in two colors: red and black. There are a few other sizes available on the market, but we decided to review the counter-depth, 7.4 cubic feet size. This model is a bottom freezer. The market offers one larger size, 9.4 cubic feet, and a few smaller ones, even mini-fridges with the retro design.
The door handles are retro, and the hinges are reversible. This refrigerator holds the Energy Star certificate, so you needn’t worry about it being a money pit.
The inside of the refrigerator is spacious enough, with three glass, adjustable shelves. It’s supplied with an interior light, as well as all other refrigerators we mentioned. The produce bin is see-through. The door can’t hold a gallon, but it can hold larger bottles.
The freezer is also well-organized. With three large drawers, you will be able to fit all of your frozen foods easily.
Unfortunately, this refrigerator isn’t frost-free. It’s equipped with an automatic “defrost” setting, and thermostat controls, as well.
- Retro design
- Energy Star
- Adjustable hinges
- Adjustable, glass shelves
- The refrigerator is not frost-free
- The door shelf can’t hold a gallon
What To Keep In Mind When Buying A Refrigerator
First things first, we would like to point out that counter-depth refrigerators are often confused with built-in refrigerators. Here’s the difference:
Built-in fridges are completely flush with cabinetry. They can be customized with cabinet panels and become one with the kitchen cabinets. However appealing this option may seem, this type of refrigerator is accompanied by sky-high prices. They are mostly made by companies producing high-end kitchen appliances.
On the other hand, a counter-depth refrigerator is a more affordable option. They lack the option of customizing the door with cabinet panels, though. The look of your kitchen is streamlined and a lavish kitchen look is achieved for half the price of a built-in model (or even more).
Before buying, we highly recommend going over these things to make sure you’re buying a model that suits your needs best.
- So, you’ve decided on investing in a new fridge. The first and most important step is taking dimensions. Measure the space where you’re going to put your newest addition to your kitchen. This may sound very simple, but this is usually where all the problems start. Measure the depth of your kitchen cabinets. They range somewhere between 24” and 26 ½”.
- The counter-depth refrigerators range somewhere between 24 and 25”. Don’t let this worry you yet if your counter leans toward 26”, as most models require a small gap behind the unit.
- Always keep in mind the size of your doorway and what the refrigerator door might bump into when opened. Make sure the width of the refrigerator door isn’t too big – your fridge might not be able to open!
- It’s very important to take the door thickness into account, too, as the door will have to stick out a little. If it doesn’t, the hinges won’t be able to turn.
2. Temperature Controls
- When browsing the web for refrigerators, always look out for temperature controls. Temperature controls give you the power to set it to your needs. Also, a big range of temperatures is a thing to look for as well. There might be a “holiday” temperature setting, as well, so your food doesn’t go bad while you’re away.
3. Energy Star
- Energy Star is a certificate of energy efficiency. When a kitchen appliance has an Energy Star, that is a synonym for energy and money-saving product, that protects the environment as well. Today’s models of refrigerators spend considerably less energy than older types. A fridge marked with an Energy Star uses as much energy as a lightbulb does.
- Shelves are important in a few ways more than one. For starters, there are two types of shelves – wire and smooth shelves (smooth shelves are made from plastic or glass). Wire shelves are much harder to clean than smooth ones. Smooth ones are sparkly clean after wiping it down with a cloth, while the wire shelves take up a lot of time to achieve a polished look. If you’re looking for easy maintenance, look for a fridge with smooth shelves.
- Furthermore, when buying a refrigerator, take your needs into account. Do you prefer to stock up on food, do you have a large family? In other words, do you need a lot of space and functionality in your refrigerator? If that is the case, always check out the insides of the refrigerator. Is it spacious? A lot of shelves and drawers are a good sign.
- Also, take your eating habits into consideration. If you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, you should look into a model that offers a few extra produce drawers.
- Check if the shelves are adjustable, as well. Your needs might change and you might need to organize them differently at some point, and it’s good to know you can.
- Freezer space is also something to think about. Do you buy a lot of frozen food or freeze the leftovers? Do you need a sizeable freezer? If you do, look for models that are divided 50-50 in the freezer to fridge space for maximum functionality.
- Another important thing to remember: check the door. Is the fridge door organized to fit all your beverages or does it have adjustable shelving? Do you buy a lot of gallon-sized containers? Your new investment should tend to all of your needs accordingly.
Conclusion – The Best Counter Depth Refrigerators
Now that we’ve thoroughly reviewed the best five refrigerators on the market, it’s time to reveal the best of the best. Picking the finest appliances was really hard, because of so many great options on the market. So, without further ado, here are our best choices:
Best overall: Frigidaire French Door Refrigerator
- Frigidaire Refrigerator is a spacious, french-door refrigerator. It holds many great features, like a cold water dispenser and even temperature system. These features and many more make this the best choice overall!
Best premium option: Fisher Paykel Activesmart Refrigerator
- Fisher Paykel refrigerator is a contemporary designed fridge. Spacious, with lots of shelves and bins, it’s the best high-end option out there. It will serve as a kitchen decoration while keeping your food safe!
Best budget-friendly choice: Avanti Apartment Size Refrigerator
- For those looking to buy a refrigerator without racking up credit card debt, is the fridge for you! It’s roomy enough for a small family and easy to maintain and clean. All in all, it’s a modern fridge for half the price!