Top 5 Best Compact Microwaves 2020:
- Panasonic Compact Microwave Oven NN-SD372S Stainless Steel Countertop 0.8 Cu. Ft. 950W
- Samsung MG14H3020CM 1.4 Cu. Ft. 950W Compact Countertop Grill Microwave Oven
- Daewoo KOR-7LREM Retro Compact Countertop Microwave Oven 0.7 Cu. Ft., 700W
- Oster OGH6901 0.9 Cubic Feet 900-Watt Compact Countertop Digital Microwave Oven
- Danby Designer 700W 0.7 Cu. Ft. Compact Countertop Microwave
If you do not have spare time to cook a proper meal every day, then you must reach out for some simplified meals, right?
All you gotta do is choose the desired meals from the pantry or freezer and place it in the microwave oven, and you can still manage to save some money and eat healthy meals daily.
But the problem is that not all microwave ovens are the same. Some will allow you to defrost and reheat food in under a few minutes, and some will take ages to do so. And let’s be honest, a slow microwave oven will not help you at all. To be able to enjoy the benefits of owning the microwave, it has to be fast, compact, and efficient.
Finding the best compact microwave oven can be quite tricky, considering that they all offer so many features that it is hard not to get lost in them. That is why we recommend you to read our buying guide before making a move.
5 Best Compact Microwaves In 2020: Detailed Reviews
As we said, it is undeniable how convenient microwaves can be if you choose the right model for your needs. But people often overlook the importance of the size of the microwave oven they are purchasing.
If you have a small kitchen, you need to buy the best compact microwave oven that will also provide you with all basic and additional features that are a must in the kitchen.
1. Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SD372S Stainless Steel Countertop 0.8 Cu. Ft. 950W – Durable And Superior Model
This model definitely stands out. It features that sturdy industrial design that grants you long lastingness. It has a gray finish, and instead of touch-sensitive buttons, it has regular old-school tactile buttons again showing you off that this model will withstand years of use.
What we like about this model is Inverter Technology. This technology will allow you to heat your food consistently, providing even heat distribution regardless of which power level you are. It has nine auto-cook options; you can also set the timer on your own if none of the presets are a suitable option.
The power output is 950W, which is excellent considering your food will get heated in no time, making it healthier since the temperature can’t significantly affect the food cells nor texture. Luckily, the microwave is energy-efficient regardless of the energy output.
It also features a genius sensor. This sensor will work the magic, believe us; it will measure the amount of steam produced during the cooking process and modify it to complete the process with the perfect results. Also, there are features like turbo defrost, keep warm, delay feature, and child lock.
This microwave oven is neither small nor lightweight, so you should be careful when making the free space for it in your kitchen since it might not fit your cabinets.
- Durable and sturdy
- Great power output
- Inverter Technology
- Genius Sensor
- Turbo defrost and stay warm feature
- Heavy and big
2. Samsung MG14H3020CM 1.4 Cu. Ft. 950W Countertop Grill Microwave Oven –Mirrored Finish For A Premium Look
If you prefer modern design, this microwave will blow your mind. The shiny mirror design will add a pinch of style to your kitchen effortlessly. But there is just one small snag since the interior is mirrored; you will have a hard time seeing what is happening inside.
This microwave is really a beast, we do talk about compact sizes here, but this model is a bit larger than all others, and quite heavy if you ask us. Also, on the side of the beast features, it features a 950W of power! But if you are worried about power consumption and your electrical bill, there is no need to be since it features Eco Mode.
What differs this microwave from most other is it’s inside as well. Most likely, all microwaves have a steel cavity, well Samsung is equipped with Ceramic Enamel, one with non-stick properties. Thus the cleaning is straightforward.
Also, it comes with the round rack and a heating rod that is not straight like with most other models so you can be sure the heat will spread evenly and roundly, allowing you to grill your food until it is crispy outside and juicy inside.
Depending on your needs, you can choose between ten different levels of power. It also features an auto-cook preset, and it can as well detect whether you need to reheat, cook, or defrost your food.
- Modern design
- Ceramic Enamel interior easy to clean
- Eco Mode
- Auto-cook preset and auto-detection
- The mirrored finish will not let you see what’s happening inside
- Big and heavy
3. Daewoo KOR-7LREM Retro Countertop Microwave Oven 0.7 Cu. Ft., 700W – Cute Retro 50’s Style
Imagine how it would be cool to have the microwave of the future that features old-school retro design. It is available in three color variants, and we can guarantee you won’t be able to decide which one you like more.
This classic model is equipped with pretty impressive features. First, we want to mention the Concave Reflex System (CRS) technology, which distributes heat evenly. This technology emits microwaves more efficiently and cooks food faster than conventional models, still considering many other models available nowadays this little one is still not fast enough.
This model has a power output of 700W, which is more than enough for light use. We can freely say this model is perfect for small dorm rooms’ kitchens since there is not much cooking involved. It offers five power levels and four auto-cook options. It also features an auto-defrost setting as well as a child lock. But that is not all it is energy efficient with its standby mode.
The size is the definition of the compact, as well as the weight. It is portable when needed, but that all means it won’t be able to provide some more serious use, and it won’t be able to fit the large kitchen plates. The thing that is a bit annoying is that every time you open up the door to check on your food, the light turns off.
- Retro design
- Five power levels
- Child lock
- Defrost setting
- CRS technology spreads heat evenly
- CRS technology is not fast enough
- The light inside the microwave turns off every time you open the doors
4. Oster OGH6901 0.9 Cubic Feet 900-Watt Countertop Digital Microwave Oven – Simple To Navigate
If all it matters to you is the simplicity of use, then hop on and buy this model cause the navigation is so straightforward that even a child can do it, even though it shouldn’t.
It features a simple classic stainless steel exterior design, yet it is made from aluminum, so it is not so heavy considering its bulky size. But there is one thing we must mention; the aluminum tends to change the taste of your food.
The power output is excellent at 900W, which will heat your food effortlessly and quickly. It features a sensor that will identify if your food is ready or not based on the humidity and temperature inside the oven. You can choose between ten adjustable power levels and six quick cooking options.
Also, the Two-Stage cooking system is a very handy feature that will help you cook dishes that in different stages of cooking need two different temperatures. All you have to do is preset it at the beginning, and the oven will do the rest.
Those are not the only features; it can also speed defrost and defrost by the weight. The complete cooking signal can be very handy, we admit, but only when the sound is not as annoying as this one. It is great for families with small kids since it also features child lock so you can be sure your little ones are safe and sound when they play in your kitchen.
- Classic stainless steel design
- Two-Stage cooking system
- Child lock
- Speed and weight defrost option
- Aluminum tends to change the taste of food
- Cooking complete signal is annoying
5. Danby Designer 700W 0.7 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave – Suitable For Occasional Use
If you do not use microwaves daily and you do not spend a lot of money on it, this model will meet your needs. It features classic microwave stainless steel design and compact size, which can fit in your office as well.
The power output is 700W, which is one of the main reasons why it is more convenient for occasional use. It offers you six one-touch cooking presets and ten adjustable power levels. If none of the preset works for you, you can use an adjustable timer to fit your current requirements.
You can also set it to time, and weight defrost, which are very handy features, but considering the power output, it will take more time for this model to complete those tasks than some other faster models. As we mentioned, this is a budget option, and considering the price, you can expect that the build is not the best one.
This model will need to be replaced sooner than you think, especially if you use it too often since the built quality needs improvement. Also, the interior tends to hold up on food smells after some time, which can be very annoying.
The good thing is that it is really not flashy in size; it is rather tiny, and operation could not be more straightforward, so we would recommend this model for busy offices more than for families with kids since this model does not feature child lock.
- Ten adjustable power levels
- Six auto-cook settings
- Time and weight defrost option
- Adjustable timer
- Not durable enough
- No child lock
- Interior retains food smells
Things To Keep In Mind Before Buying The Best Compact Microwave
There are a number of things you should check out on before choosing the right model for your kitchen or your office. To make sure you will be able to make the best decision, we wrote this comprehensive buying guide.
- The internal capacity should match your needs; if you tend to cook larger dishes in it, you should consider models that have at least 1 Cu. Ft. in size. The external dimensions must fit your countertop or cabinets. Some models come in uncommon shapes, which can be very handy if you want to place your appliance in some tricky spot.
- The more watts it has, the more the power it provides; therefore, your food will be ready faster. For the optimal cooking, we recommend you to choose models with 1000W or above. In case you only do light reheating everything above 700W will do the job right. There are models that have 500W as well, but remember that output is very rare, and it will take ages to reheat your food.
3. Cooking Options
- Many modern microwave ovens offer versatile cooking options next to the standard timed cooking. Some will even allow you to start the machine for 30 seconds or 60 seconds by pressing a button; these options are great for reheating your drinks and food that needs only light rewarming.
- Pre-programmed cooking options are something you should strive for as well since they allow you to cook pasta, potatoes, frozen foods, and more with just one simple touch. Some models also can do steaming and grilling.
- When deciding for cooking options, consider how you will use your microwave oven and whether or not you need those high-end options since the more options the price is higher of course.
4. Ease Of Use
- Compact microwaves should be straightforward to use. Many feature one-touch buttons with a display while others feature the analog form, so this mainly depends on whichever you prefer the most.
- Honestly, cleaning is the most tedious job you can do, especially when you need to clean your microwave. When looking for a new microwave oven, make sure you look for the model that is straightforward to clean. Remember, if the cleaning process is easy, you will clean it regularly, which prolongs the life span of your appliance, and it will help to prevent food contamination.
6. Useful Features
- If you have small kids, you should look for models with child locks as well with the ability to turn the sound when needed so you would not wake them up during their midday nap. Also, models that have a defrosting function will make your life easier significantly. Smart sensors that will provide even heat and steam distribution can be very handy if you tend to use the microwave oven frequently.
We are all aware of how handy microwave ovens are. They will allow you to reheat your food, prepare your tea and coffee in under a minute, and defrost the frozen goodies and all that mess-free and without a big fuss. But there is no point in owning one if you will not use its full capacity and all possible options, so choose wisely.
Best Overall Value: Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SD372S Stainless Steel Countertop 0.8 Cu. Ft. 950W
- The Panasonic model will offer you the best value for the price, in our opinion, since it features all the basic settings as well some additional ones like genius sensor and inverter technology, which will help you prefer your food until it’s perfect. It packs a huge power output in a very convenient size that will fit almost every kitchen.
Best Budget Option: Daewoo KOR-7LREM Retro Countertop Microwave Oven 0.7 Cu. Ft., 700W
- Classic look paired with retro design and the affordable price sounds like a great deal, ain’t we right? Well, it actually is. This little machine will provide enough power for your daily needs such as warming up soups, water for tea, or defrosting frozen foods. It maybe won’t allow you some heavy-duty cooking like some other models, but considering the price, we think this little one is a perfect choice for occasional use.
- The glossy design will immediately grab your attention; we can guarantee you that. This device looks just too beautiful. But this model is not just a beauty; it is a beast as well considering the power output and all the features that it offers. You can even girl the food in it. Keep in mind that the ceramic enamel interior is the easiest thing to maintain clean all the time.