Top 5 Best Butcher Knives 2021:
- DALSTRONG Butcher’s Breaking Cimitar Knife
- Nexus BD1N 10″ Hollow Edge Butcher’s Knife
- UltraSource Butcher Knife
- Hoffritz Commercial 5190085 Butcher Knife
- TITAN FORGE – Butcher & Breaking Knife
If you ask any chef what is the essential part of every professional kitchen, they’ll probably say a butcher knife. A good butcher knife is an incredibly useful kitchen tool, not only because they are large and extremely sharp, but also because they are designed to make working with meat especially easy.
You don’t have to be a chef or a butcher to own a butcher knife. Once you try using a butcher knife, you won’t be able to stop! It’s a perfect knife for all kinds of delicious meals and it will make your cooking experience a lot better. There are so many amazing options available right now, from beautiful designs to outstanding performance.
Now you’re probably wondering how are you supposed to choose the best one. Well, you’re in the right place! We’ve made this list of the top butcher knives on the market, and if you’re interested to find out what is the best butcher knife, keep on reading!
5 Best Butcher Knives 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. DALSTRONG Butcher’s Breaking Cimitar Knife – Best Choice
Just one look at this incredible knife will be enough to know it’s one of the best out there! This is a Dalstrong butcher knife from their Gladiator Series. Knives from this series are forged with extreme precision from a single piece of imported premium high carbon ThyssenKrupp German steel!
Dalstrong butcher knife has a full-tang and a triple-riveted construction. It’s hand-polished to a satin finish and carefully tapered for enhanced flexibility, hardness, and minimal slicing resistance!
This high carbon steel blade is extremely sharp, durable, and resistant to wear and stain. The blade on this knife was hand sharpened at 14-16 degrees per side and it reaches 56 on the Rockwell hardness scale. The curved 8” blade is designed to create leverage and complete cuts in a single motion without sawing.
It’s ideal for slicing through flesh, breaking through cartilage, and trimming the fat from beef, pork, and poultry. The blade is further improved with the rock-hollow divots that minimize adhesion to prevent it from getting stuck in food and reduce friction for more comfortable cutting. Another amazing feature of the knife is the beautiful handle. It’s an ergonomic and ambidextrous handle made of black Pakkawood.
Besides the knife, you also get a protective PerfectFit sheath that keeps the blade protected when not in use. When it comes to cleaning, keep in mind that the knife is not dishwasher safe!
- Premium high carbon German steel blade
- Curved blade creates leverage for best cutting
- Ergonomic Pakkawood handle
- Protective sheath
- Not dishwasher safe
2. Nexus BD1N 10″ Hollow Edge Butcher’s Knife – Premium Pick
If you don’t mind spending a bit more money on a butcher knife, Nexus BD1N knife is the best choice for you! It’s one of the best high-end butcher knives on the market.
The blade is 10” long and when you compare it to other butcher knives, it’s certainly one of the longest. It’s made of American BD1N stainless steel, and it’s further enhanced with Nitrogen to make it even stronger and sharper. It’s durable, extremely resistant to rust and corrosion, and it reaches 63 on the Rockwell hardness scale!
The sharp and deep serrations on the blade mean that the edge will stay extremely sharp for a long time without the need to sharpen it. The curved design of the blade is very helpful because it allows you to cut through the toughest of meat in a single motion. The great thing about this knife is that it’s strong enough to cut all kinds of meat, trim briskets, and break down large pieces of meat, but it’s also so delicate that you can use it for fruits and vegetables without destroying their structure.
The beautiful black handle is made of G10. G10 is a high-pressure fiberglass laminate most often used to make strong, durable knife handles. The handle is ergonomically shaped to provide the perfect balance to the knife, it’s triple-riveted and it has a full-tang construction!
- Sharp BD1N stainless steel blade
- The blade is extremely hard
- Curved design
- G10 durable handle
- It’s pricey
3. UltraSource Butcher Knife – Super Affordable Choice
Butcher knives don’t have to be expensive to get the job done. The design of this knife may be a bit simpler compared to some other, high-end butcher knives, but if you’re looking for a knife that performs well and comes at a surprisingly affordable price, you’ll love this butcher knife by UltraSource!
UltraSource is a brand that’s been around since 1883, and since then, they have perfected the art of creating simple yet effective kitchen equipment. This butcher knife is one of their bestsellers, and for a good reason. It has a razor-sharp blade made of Molybdenum steel. The blade was cryogenically treated for improved strength, lifespan, and edge retention, so it’s durable, sharp, and resistant to rust and corrosion.
The 10” blade length puts it among the longest on the market, and the manufacturer proudly claims that the longer blade allows for more precise cuts and for breaking down entire roasts into smaller pieces that might be more difficult to do with short blades.
Besides the long, sharp blade, another incredible feature of this knife is the handle. It’s a textured handle with an antimicrobial feature that’s NSF certified. The handle is also non-slip so you can use the knife without worrying you’ll get hurt.
With the wide, curved blade and the ergonomic handle, UltraSource butcher knife has been a preferred choice for butcher shops, and meat and grocery markets for decades!
- Long, curved, sharp, cryogenically treated blade
- Antimicrobial, non-slip handle
- The price is affordable
- The appearance of the knife is not very elegant
4. Hoffritz Commercial 5190085 Butcher Knife – Great Value For Money
Another great and quite affordable choice is the Hoffritz Commercial butcher knife. This beautiful knife comes in two colors, black and navy, and you can buy it separately, or you can purchase it as a set with two more knives included.
The Hoffritz Commercial line of knives includes only high-quality, high-performance knives that are NSF approved. The fact that it’s NSF certified means that all of the materials used to make the knife are 100% safe to use with food! This butcher knife is designed to cut with ease and it’s perfect for cutting through large pieces of meat, poultry, and roasts quickly and efficiently!
The 10” long blade has a razor-sharp edge. It’s handcrafted using semi-polished, high carbon German steel. The blade was hardened and tampered to enhance its sharpness, hardness, and lifespan. It has a curved design which makes it ideal for cutting tough meat because it allows you to cut anything in a single motion!
When you look at the handle, you’ll notice that it’s simple and elegant. It’s made of a mix of nylon and silicone, which means it’s durable and it has a non-slip feature. The shape of the handle is very ergonomic and both left-handed and right-handed people fill feel comfortable using this knife.
The great thing about the nylon/silicone handle is that it’s extremely durable and makes it safe to put this knife in a dishwasher!
- Long, sharp high carbon German steel blade
- Nylon/silicone ergonomic handle
- Dishwasher safe
- The non-serrated edge requires sharpening from time to time
5. TITAN FORGE – Butcher & Breaking Knife – Incredible Design and High Performance
When it comes to the design, the Titan Forge butcher knife is the best of the best. It’s part of their Pro Series and it certainly deserves to be featured on this list not only because of the eye-catching design but also because of how well it performs.
The superior blade construction makes this knife a great choice. It has a handcrafted blade made of ultra-sharp 7cr17mov high carbon stainless steel. The increased carbon and chromium count give it 57-59 on the Rockwell hardness scale. The blade is also hand-sharpened at 14-15 degrees at each side giving you a steeper blade for extremely precise cutting.
This butcher knife has a full-tang construction for extra strength and durability. The handle is engineered with ABS/TPE polymer blend that ensures resistance to heat, cold, and moisture. The ergonomic shape provides ultimate hand control, agility, and comfort. Its non-slip feature makes sure that you have a secure hold of the knife even in wet or greasy environments!
The handle and the blade are perfectly balanced to minimize hand fatigue and to optimize and endure any culinary challenge. The so-called “Crius” handle is molded perfectly to the blade which gives it sturdy construction and it also makes sure that no food or unwanted particles enter any crevice. On top of all this, the Titan Forge butcher knife is dishwasher safe!
- High carbon steel blade
- Steep blade for precise cutting
- Ultra-durable polymer handle
- Dishwasher safe
- The handle might get a little bit slippery sometimes
Things To Consider Before You Buy A Butcher Knife
Butcher knives differ from other knives in a few distinct characteristics, so it’s important to inform yourself of what separates good butcher knives from the rest. Let’s see what are the key features to look for!
1. Blade Material
- Butcher knives are used on large pieces of meat and on tough meats so it’s crucial that the blade of a butcher knife is extremely strong and sharp. This is why it has to be made of steel. The most popular material for butcher knife’s blade is high carbon stainless steel and different types of this steel.
- High carbon stainless steel is the best choice because it’s ultra-sharp and durable, and it can stay sharp for a long time, especially if it’s been treated to enhance the hardness and sharpness. If you’re not sure how to know whether the blade is hard and sharp, just look at the level it reaches on the Rockwell hardness scale. If it’s between 57 and 63, it’s worth your time and money!
2. Blade Length And Shape
- When it comes to butcher knives, the standard length of the blade is between 8 and 10 inches. You’ll find that most butcher knives have a long, 10” blade. This is because butcher knives often have to cut through large pieces of meat and the long blade allows you to do it in a single motion. To make the cutting even easier, butcher knife blades also have a curved design.
- The handle is the second most important part of a butcher knife. It has to be strong and durable enough to support the long blade and heavy use. There are a lot of different options when it comes to the material of the handle. The most common materials used to make butcher knife handles are Pakkawood, a blend of polymers, and a mix of nylon and silicone. There are some knives with handles made of G10, another strong and ultra-resistant material.
- Make sure that the handle has a non-slip feature because this adds to the safety. Sometimes the handle also has antimicrobial features, which makes it even safer to use with food.
- Besides the material, another important feature is the shape of the blade. It has to be large enough to provide balance to the knife, and it has to be ergonomically shaped so that it feels comfortable in your hand and doesn’t cause hand fatigue after prolonged use.
4. Cleaning And Maintenance
- When it comes to cleaning, most butcher knives are not safe to put in a dishwasher. This means you’ll have to wash them by hand. However, this shouldn’t be too difficult to do since most of the knives have a non-stick feature, so the food doesn’t stick to it but slides off easily. If your butcher knife is not dishwasher safe, make sure to never leave it to soak in water because it can cause damage to the blade and handle.
- There are some butcher knives that are safe to put in a dishwasher, so if this feature is extremely important to you, make sure to check it before you buy the knife!
Final Thoughts And Best Butcher Knife Recommendations
It doesn’t matter if you’re a professional chef or butcher, or an amateur cook – you need a good butcher knife in your kitchen. They are extremely sharp and made for heavy-use, so whatever your cooking needs are, a good butcher knife can get it done!
We have to say that choosing only five knives to make the list wasn’t easy, but we’re super confident in our choices. Now, let’s take a look at our top recommendations!
Best Choice: DALSTRONG Butcher’s Breaking Cimitar Knife
- The winner of this round is definitely this Dalstrong butcher knife! This knife is a part of their Gladiator Series. It’s an extremely sharp and durable knife made with premium German material. The beautiful design and the high performance make this knife the best possible choice!
Premium Pick: Nexus BD1N 10″ Hollow Edge Butcher’s Knife
- The title of the best high-end butcher knife goes to the Nexus BD1N butcher knife! It’s an incredibly beautiful and sharp knife. Both the blade and the handle are made of high-quality materials that are ultra-durable so you’ll be able to use this knife for many years to come! Although it’s a bit pricey, the Nexus butcher knife is a true premium choice!
Budget-Friendly Option: UltraSource Butcher Knife
- The UltraSource butcher knife is a surprisingly inexpensive, high-quality knife that can perform just as well as most high-end knives. If you take good care of it, you can use this sharp, strong knife for a long time! You won’t find a better butcher knife at this price point!