Top 5 Best Boning Knives 2021:
- imarku Boning Knife, Fillet Knife Carbon Stainless Steel and Pakkawood Handle, 6-Inch
- Chicago Cutlery 62SP Walnut Tradition High-Carbon Blade Boning Knife, 5-Inch
- Zelite Infinity Boning Knife – Alpha-Royal Series – Japanese AUS-10 Super Steel 67-Layer Damascus 6-Inch
- Victorinox – 47645 Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife, Semi-Stiff Blade, 6-Inch
- Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Flexible Boning Knife, 6 –Inch
Did you know that it is very important how you cut and treat your meat?
Did you know you can greatly impact the flavor if you cut it the wrong way with the wrong knife?
If you didn’t, well, now you know.
Let’s talk about this for a bit. Meat gets most of the flavor from the fat, blood, and bone that is attached to the muscle. If you cut the meat with a knife that can’t reach all the way against the bone, you will miss out on a lot of flavors that will remain on the bone.
To avoid ruining a perfect cut of meat, you need to purchase the right utensil. That is why today we are going to talk about the best boning knife.
5 Best Boning Knives In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Victorinox – 47645 Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife, Semi-Stiff Blade, 6-Inch – Great Choice For Commercial And Home Use
Meat boning knives should not be very flexible; that is why this boning knife from Victorinox is one of the most popular and most selling curved blades for chicken, fish, and meat. It is good to know that this is a certified chef knife by NSF (National Sanitation Foundation).
This boning knife features only 6-inches in length. The knife has a semi-stiff blade that is carefully engineered for deboning and slicing any tough meat or small broken bones. As we said, it is not a very flexible knife, but it can still bend a bit to achieve a better working angle.
The blade is crafted from the stainless steel, and it is exceptionally sharp, providing you effortless trimming. The pointed tip of the will help you with cutting and slicing. The blade is paired with the ergonomic non-slip Fibro Pro handle to allow you secure handling and slicing. The handle ensures the best comfort and balance.
Since the knife is super sharp and lightweight and it offers high efficiency and precision, it is suitable to use at home or restaurants. The only bad thing we can say is that if you prefer a straight blade, you will have a hard time working with it.
So if you are in search of a new boning knife, there is no need to spend hundreds of dollars when you can buy this model, which also comes with a lifetime guarantee on material defects and workmanship.
- NSF certified
- Non-slip handle
- Super sharp stainless steel curved blade
- Not suitable for people who prefer a straight blade
2. Chicago Cutlery 62SP Walnut Tradition High-Carbon Blade Boning Knife, 5-Inch – Perfect For Amateurs
This is the smallest boning knife on this list. The Chicago Cutlery boning knife may be smaller than other knives, but it is the most versatile knife of them all since it is a great choice for peeling fruits and veggies as well as for boning and slicing.
This boning knife is only 5-inch in length, but no need to worry it will allow you to separate meat from the bone easily. The small size also ensures easy handling without putting too much effort and time on boning or deboning. The blade is straight, and it is crafted from High-carbon stainless steel that is rust, stain, and corrosion-resistant.
To retain the sharpness of the blade for an extended period of time, the manufacturers equipped this model with a 25-degree Taper Grind edge.
The knife is lightweight, well balanced, and it has an ergonomic design. The handle is made from walnut wood, and it features triple brass rivets and a full metal tang to provide you stability and full control, so handling this knife during meal prep is safe.
The good thing is that the walnut handle will never slip even if your hands are wet and oily, but since it is wooden, it is not suitable to wash in the dishwasher nor to be exposed to water for long periods of time.
This knife is a risk-free purchase since it is very affordable, and it comes with a full lifetime warranty.
- Lightweight and ergonomic
- Walnut handle
- A sharp 5-inch long blade
- 25-degree Taper Grind edge
- Versatile and affordable
- Hand wash only
3. Zelite Infinity Boning Knife – Alpha-Royal Series – Japanese AUS-10 Super Steel 67-Layer Damascus 6-Inch – Ideal Multipurpose Cutting Tool
This model from the brand Zelite Infinity offers exceptional value and quality. It is crafted from special materials that are made only in Japan. Long blade, crafted from premium materials, beautiful design, and packaging all contributed to this model becoming their most popular model from “Alpha-Royal Series”.
The straight blade is 6-inch long, and it is made from a combination of 67-layer high carbon stainless steel and imported Japanese AUS 10 Super Steel. This combination will prevent rust and corrosion with ease. Also, the manufacturers used Rockwall Hardness 61 paired with Liquid Nitrogen to improve the performance and stability of the blade.
This provides maximum cutting power, as well as versatility. You can use this knife to slice beef, trim steak, cut chicken, or use it for deboning—all that without worries since this blade will stay razor-sharp for a long time.
This Zelite Infinity boning knife comes with a Military Grade G10 Black Handle and triple-rivet construction for enhanced comfort and secure grip. The full metal tang guarantees great durability and performance. To provide additional safety and a more attractive look, they also used very rare Tapered Bolster.
This ergonomic handle will comfortably fit in the palm of your hand, and you can balance it very easily no matter how big your hand is. This knife is dishwasher safe.
The only disadvantage is that this knife does not come with a protective sheath. The price is high, considering versatility, quality, design, and overall features.
- Versatile and durable
- Crafted from premium quality materials
- Military Graded G10 handle
- Dishwasher safe
- Comes without protective sheath
4. Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Flexible Boning Knife, 6 –Inch – Top Rated, Durable, And Certified
Today many cutlery brands offer high-quality knives at affordable prices, and this Mercer knife is not an exception considering the beautiful design and great features. This is a very durable boning knife that you can use, no matter if you are professional or an amateur.
The knife is 6-inch long with a curved and flexible blade that is forged and made from German high carbon stainless steel, which is stain resistent as well as corrosion resistant. The knife is well balanced, sturdy, and easy to sharpen thanks to the Taper ground edge. The Taper ground edge also enhances the efficiency and cutting power of the knife.
It is highly recommended that after each use, you clean the knife by hand and avoid using a dishwasher to prolong the lifespan.
The knife is very comfortable in hand and provides a great grip since it features an ergonomic black Santoprene handle. Full metal tang that runs the entire length of the handle and bolsters ensure superior balance, but since the handle is made from plastic, it is prone to damage after some time.
The knife is NSF certified so you can use this knife commercial or home use. The price is great considering the quality and versatility the only thing we can mention as a disadvantage is lack of protective sheath. Also, the knife is backed with a limited lifetime warranty.
- NSF certified
- Blade made from high carbon steel
- Taper ground edge
- Ergonomic Santoprene handle
- Hand wash only
- Plastic handle
- Comes without protective sheath
5. imarku Boning Knife, Fillet Knife Carbon Stainless Steel and Pakkawood Handle, 6-Inch – Attractive Design
If you love cooking, you will love this knife. It has a sleek, bright design that will catch your attention for sure.
This knife comes with a super sharp narrow blade that is 6-inch long. It is crafted from German high carbon stainless steel, and it provides maximum sharpness and corrosion-resistance. The high-quality German super steel 56 Rockwall Hardness ensures superior performance and guarantees that the blade edge will remain razor-sharp for a long time.
You can use this knife in various ways, deboning the deer, chicken, fish, but it is not recommended to use it for cutting veggies and fruit. This knife is very versatile, and since it has a thin blade, you can even use it instead of a sushi knife for making sashimi.
This model looks absolutely stunning. You will love the design of this very attractive handle. It is ergonomic and crafted from Pakkawood with smooth polishing that offers a great non-slip grip and comfortable use.
The handle is secured with s stainless steel end caps and a full metal tang that runs through the length of the knife, adding more balance. Always clean the knife by hand with a soft cloth and avoid the dishwasher since it will damage the edge as well as the handle.
The price tag of this knife is reasonable considering the quality, and it also comes packed in a beautiful black box so you can keep it safe. The knife comes with a full refund guarantee.
- High carbon stainless steel blade
- 56 Rockwall Hardness
- Pakkawood ergonomic handle
- Non-slip grip
- Not dishwasher safe
How To Choose The Best Boning Knife?
There are many different types of boning knives out there on the market, and they are all designed for a specific cut of meat. Without picking a great quality boning knife, you will experience a hard time when deboning, trimming, and filleting. That might sound easy to do, but believe us, it is not.
Before purchasing, you should know which important features the best boning knife must-have. So let’s cut to the chase.
- Construction is the most important factor. The knife must have a full tang so you can be sure it is made from one piece of metal, which ensures strength and durability. It also needs to have at least three rivets to hold the handle in place. This can guarantee you that your knife features a quality blade.
2. Handle Design
- There are many different types of handles available. Some are made from plastic, wood, Polypropylene, or rubber. Handle design is a personal preference; all it matters is that the handle is comfortable to you and that it offers you a secure non-slip grip.
- Wooden handles always look good, and they provide excellent grip and comfort, but they are not water-resistant, and they can break if they fall on the hard ground. Other materials offer good grip and comfort, but they do not look so pretty as wooden handles.
3. Blade Material
- When it comes to talking about a quality boning knife, the right material is crucial. The most common materials used for crafting are high carbon and stainless steel, but forged stainless steel is far better than carbon.
- High carbon stainless steel provides a thinner and more flexible blade. The flexibility will come in handy when you need to maneuver around meat and bones. With a thinner blade, the edge retention is much better, meaning it will be sharper and will hold longer.
- When you plan to fillet or debone meat, it is important that your knife has a bit of flexibility. The flexible boning knife can bend and never break it easily; it is perfect for filleting and deboning a fish.
- Semi stiff boning knife is not very flexible, but is strong and versatile; you can remove bones from meat, separate bones joint, and cut a big chicken or turkey, and very thick meats.
5. Design Of The Blade
- The boning knife is available in two different blade designs. These are the curved blade and a straight blade. A curved blade has an upward tip point, and it is perfect for removing bones, and it can serve well as a filet knife. A straight blade is long and narrow with a tipping point that is perfect for poultry and fish.
6. Weight And Size
- A lightweight boning knife is easy to handle, and it will allow you to effortlessly maneuver it when cutting fish or meat. The weight depends on the blade and handle.
- The knife made from carbon steel blades is always lighter than others. For a perfect slicing and deboning of meat, a 6 to 9-inches boning knife made from stainless steel is a perfect choice.
7. Safety Features And Accessories
- Safety is very important, no matter if you are a new cook or a professional. Make sure that the knife has the right safety features so you can avoid any injury. Some knives have a special finger guard called notch or “Bolster” to ensure safe cutting.
- Boning knife needs to have a case or protective sheath to store the knife in it since most of them won’t be used every day.
- Every kitchen should have a sharpen steel or a sharpening stone. Most knives will hold an edge fairly well, but it is not uncommon to sharpen the knife every time before use.
- A good warranty will help to protect your knife in case it breaks. Usually, high-quality brands offer a lifetime warranty with their knives because they are confident they will last forever. In case of the knife breaks, they will either fix the knife or replace it completely.
No matter if you are a professional chef or a home chef, if you plan to cut your meat with precision and perfection, you will need the best boning knife to be able to get the job done.
There are a lot of different options available to choose from, and it can be very confusing. Therefore if you are a newbie or you are inexperienced when it comes to choosing knives, we recommend you consider one of our top five picks.
- The imarku boning knife is ideal for trimming, filleting, and butterflying. It has a curved, narrow blade that makes slicing close to the bone a breeze. The high-carbon steel is used for crafting, which makes this model very durable and resistant to corrosion. If things get messy, you know you are safe since it features a non-slip grip.
Best Budget Option: Chicago Cutlery 62SP Walnut Tradition High-Carbon Blade Boning Knife, 5-Inch
- Both lightweight and durable, this knife is designed to minimize strain on your wrist while you are busy with meal prepping. Its semi-stiff stainless steel blade is perfect for cutting through thick meat cuts, small broken bones, and since it is slightly flexible, it is great for removing bones from delicate cuts of meat, like chicken and fish.
- The Zelite Infinity features an attractive Damascus pattern that also helps to prevent food from sticking to your blade. The rounded handle is made of a military-grade material and secured with triple-riveted, which adds on durability. The razor-sharp 12-degree edge will allow you to cut through the meat with ease.