Top 5 Best Apple Peelers 2021:
- Cast Magnesium Apple/Potato Peeler Corer by Spiralizer
- Starfrit Rotato Express 2.0 + 6 Replacement Blades
- Spring Chef Premium Swivel Vegetable Peeler
- Starfrit 93013 Pro-Apple Peeler with bonus core slicer
- VKP Brands VKP1010 Johnny Apple Peeler
Who doesn’t like a good apple? You can hardly find a fruit packed with so many vitamins and healthy nutrients. Peeling and coring them… Well, that’s an entirely different affair.
Seriously, even though it looks very simple, removing the skin from the apple is a ridiculously complicated task. Especially if you want to preserve something of the edible parts. Especially if you’re going to prepare an apple pie for the entire family.
If this situation sounds all too familiar, we have some good news for you – humanity has long since found the workaround for this problem in the form of incredibly handy mechanical apple peelers.
So, let us quickly go through some popular units you can currently find in the stores around you and try to see what is the best apple peeler presently on the market.
Your apple pies will taste so much better when you don’t have to spend countless hours to prepare them.
5 Best Apple Peelers In 2021: Detailed Reviews
There is no better way to describe this product than a one-way ticket to an apple pie heaven. Sure, this may sound a bit exaggerated, but we are honest to the bone with this one. If you are a casual user, don’t mind doing a bit of manual work and want your fruits and veggies peeled fast, you will hardly find a better product than this one.
What makes it so great?
Well, let us start with the build quality, that is, for the lack of a better word, simply terrific. Although magnesium isn’t as used as some other popular metals, the die-cast material we can find here is rock-solid and can sustain years of abuse.
A similar thing can be said about excellent stainless steel blades that make an easy work of apple of all sizes and an ergonomic handle that makes the unit perfectly usable even for elderly citizens with arthritis. Throw into the mix an excellent suction base that keeps the peeler firmly in place, and you may start wondering is there anything wrong with this product?
Well, the answer is yes and no.
You see, this peeler features adjustable blades that make it, as we stated above, ideal for apples of all sizes. However, the manufacturer claims that the unit can be just effectively used for tomatoes, potatoes, and other veggies, once you move past the apples, the performance becomes considerably sloppier.
Still, we are reviewing apple peelers here, and, in this regard, the product puts on a stellar performance so we won’t take this against it.
- Reasonably affordable
- Great price-value ratio
- Excellent build quality
- Ergonomic and slip-free design
- Sharp, reliable and adjustable stainless steel blades
- Works well only with apples
Starfrit Rotato Express 2.0 is one pretty handsome and useful appliance we had no other choice than fall in love with the more we got the opportunity to use it. Does that mean we are talking about a perfect electric peeler you should buy without any consideration?
Of course not – there is no such thing as a perfect product, and this peeler is no exception.
For instance, we were pretty perplexed by the deep rings the blades were leaving on our apples. Keep note; this could be a great way to make your food look good if you had any control over how the rings would look. This way, it simply comes off a bit sloppy.
Also, the stop button – not the best quality in the world, we can tell you that.
But, once we move past this couple of, to be quite honest, not so horrible issues, we can find one pretty damn good multi-purpose peeler that has no problem dealing with all sorts of fruits and veggies of different sizes and textures.
What makes the performance even more impressive is that the whole thing manages to be pretty fast without producing too much noise. You will be able to watch your favorite Netflix show with this bad boy working in the background.
Also, the build quality is pretty good. Sure, the plastic the body was made from is more fragile than the materials we usually get with manual peelers, but it’s tough enough to survive a lot of beating. Add into the mix six replaceable blades, and yeah – you get one petty satisfying peeler.
- Solid build quality
- Six replaceable blades
- Fast and silent performance
- Sleek, appealing design
- Cutting rings are uneven
- Some buttons feel very flimsy
Spring Chef Premium Swivel Vegetable Peeler may be a simple handheld peeler devoid of any advanced features we can find with other products on this list. But don’t think even for a second this product is some bargain-bin entry-level stinker.
On the contrary, the peeler feels far more premium than some other contenders on the list. The choice to go basic was a conscious effort to make the product versatile and simple to use rather than a simple way to save money, and we have nothing but praises for this design approach.
So, what do you get in this affordable package? How about ergonomic design combined with some incredibly high-quality materials?
Yes, the handle of this peeler is made from sturdy plastic and features a non-slip matte surface that will allow you a firm grip no matter what kind of fruit you go against.
The dual stainless steel blades do not lag behind, not even for the slightest. On the contrary, they are so sharp they can easily cut through even the softest fruits (for instance, tomatoes) without creating a mess. It should be also mentioned that blades swivel across the fruits’ surface, so the performance becomes even more effortless and smoother.
On the downside, no matter how great these core functions are, they are the only thing this package has to offer. We could live with a couple of replaceable blades that would push this peeler to even greater heights. If you could easily disassemble the unit, the individual parts would also be far easier to clean.
- Excellent price-value ratio
- Functional, ergonomic design
- Quality materials
- Blades are very sharp
- Bare-bones package
- Not always easy to clean
At first glance, Starfrit 93013 may look like an overly expensive plastic toy you would give to your kids while you are doing real kitchen work. The 90’s see-through design doesn’t make this impression any better, too. But don’t let this… Well, let’s call it “youthful” design fool you.
This peeler has to offer much more than meets the eye.
For a start, although we are not overly fond of the design (honestly, who thought this was a good idea), the materials are pretty spot-on. The plastic that is used for the body feels sturdy and durable. Stainless steel blades and spike holders are no different. We got the impression they could go through hundreds of apples without losing sharpness.
Тhe suction base keeps the peeler firmly in place, so no complaints here.
When it comes to performance, the unit leaves a similar impression, like in the visual department. In other words, we have mixed feelings about it. In some cases (mostly, perfectly shaped apples), the peeler knocks the skin out of the park.
In others, though, the peeling arm missed some noticeable skin patches, and some apples even slipped from the rotating disk.
However, we have forgotten to mention one essential thing – this product is dirt cheap. Yes, we have seen some handheld peelers that cost more than this bad boy. Keeping that in mind, we can’t complain too much about somewhat sloppy performance – a little bit of handy work with a knife will solve all of your problems.
- Outrageously cheap
- Solid build quality
- Efficient suction base
- Easy to use and maintain
- Patchy performance
- We are not overly fond of the design
This product is very similar to the previous peeler we reviewed. So identical, as a matter of fact, we are wondering how no one filed a lawsuit by now. But, after a couple of insightful weeks of using both these products, we can say the units are different enough to merit their own places on the niche apple peeler market.
And the sweet, retro-looking wooden handle we can find on this one is only one of them.
The other, much more significant difference is that the body of VKP1010 is made from beautiful, sturdy, and substantial cast iron, which moves the issue of durability off the table. If the peeler slips off the table, though, it’ll more likely make a hole in the floor than lose some of its parts.
However, the chances of slipping are not that slim. Namely, the suction base we got with this unit was neither all that reliable nor as durable as the others we’ve seen on the list. So, be ready to use one hand to keep the unit in place.
The other thing we are not entirely pleased with is that some of the parts (blades included) were pretty sharp, which made cleaning a real chore. You can easily cut your finger while trying to clean this juggernaut.
But, all these things are counterbalanced by the fact that the peeler performs its core duties (peeling and coring) with ease and precision. Sure, you will see some apples going through easier than others, but the overall impression we got was more than positive.
- Hard as nails
- Excellent blades
- Consistent performance
- The wooden handle is nostalgic as hell
- Reasonable price
- A bit rough around the edges
- The suction base is not that great
Why Should You Buy An Apple Peeler?
Ok, now that we’ve covered our top five contenders for the title of best apple peeler, let us try to answer one crucial question that might be crossing your mind right now – Do I even need this thing in my kitchen?
The short answer, at least in our honest opinion, would be yes. Let us elaborate.
First of all, apple peelers and corers are very cheap, so you are not paying all that much for the convenience you are getting.
Second, you are getting a whole lot of convenience. Just think about it – even if you are incredibly skilled with a knife, dealing with more than a couple of apples this way simply takes too much time and effort. And don’t even let us start about coring.
This is an art that takes a lot of practice if you truly want to become good at it. Mechanical apple peelers and corers may not be perfect, and sometimes you may need to make some finishing touches with your knife, but the perks you are getting more than outweigh these minor complaints.
Types Of Apple Peelers
Essentially, all apple peelers can be divided into three distinct groups. As a matter of fact, these units are so distinct that your level of enjoyment will largely depend on which one of them you choose. So, let us take a quick look at them:
- Electric apple peelers – Electric apple peelers are full-scale kitchen appliances that pack all the benefits associated with these types of products. They are streamlined, require no manual labor, and work very fast. However, they are, at the same time, more expensive than a regular apple peeler and need a power source. Due to the sensitive electric parts, this type is often harder to maintain.
- Manual apple peelers – This is the type you will most commonly find in the markets. Although they require a certain level of labor and are not as precise as their electric cousins, manual apple peelers are affordable, simple to use, and even simpler to maintain.
- Handheld apple peelers – These are the most basic handheld units that feature the blades that are designed to easily peel the skin from the apples. They are barely more functional than a regular knife, but they make peeling faster. Oh yeah – they are also dirt cheap, so there you go.
Things To Consider Before You Buy An Apple Peeler
However, the type of peeler is not the only feature we use to classify these products. How efficiently your peeler is going to perform depends on a lot more details you should take into consideration before spending your money. Here are the ones we consider the most important.
- Apple peelers are not the units that, by design, need to sustain a lot of damage. But, much like all other kitchen items, they often end up dropped on the floor or abused in some other, more creative manner. It is in your best interest to find a product that will be able to rise to the challenge of being a commonly used kitchen appliance.
- The recipe that has proved to work the best in these harsh conditions is the combination of cast-iron construction and stainless steel blades. If you are buying an electric-powered unit, you can get away with a sturdy plastic body.
2. Ease Of Maintenance
- Apple peelers are the units that need to be cleaned after each use. This job will be made considerably more relaxed if they are actually easy to disassemble and assemble again. So, take this as your number one priority, at least in this regard.
- The second thing you should check is if the individual parts are dishwasher-safe. If not, you will largely undermine all the convenience you got while peeling the apples. Not a deal-breaker, but you should make your life as easy as possible.
- Ok, these units were never supposed to be some stunning lookers. If they are easy on the eyes – good. If not… Well, we can live with that as well.
- Here, we are talking more about the ergonomics and how the peeler fits the environment. For instance, it is very important that the bottom of the product you are going to buy is covered with tactile materials that will prevent it from sliding across the table.
- A C-clamp performs this duty quite admirably as well.
- Also, the handle should be easy to operate and provide a good grip. Finally, compact dimensions that will allow you to easily store your unit away can’t hurt your efforts, either.
4. Extra Features
- Last but not least, we have to mention the additional features. What are they? Well, all these small things that are hot essential for efficient apple peeling but definitely make life easier.
- In the case of apple peelers that would be primarily two things:
- Expanded set of options – For instance, some of the units you can find on the market allow you to slice the apples as well.
- Replaceable blades – This neat addition allows you to, when the opportunity arises, move away from the apples and tackle fruits and vegetables and fruits of different sizes and hardness.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Finally, it is time to round all of our contenders up and see which one of them is the best apple peeler on the market. This job is very hard for several reasons. First, we are dealing with a couple of different product groups that are hard to compare. Second, all these peelers managed to summon a lot of goodwill on our end.
So, here is the solution we came up with.
Best Overall: Cast Magnesium Apple/Potato Peeler Corer by Spiralizer
- It was a close call between Spiralizer’s entry peeler and VKP1010, but eventually, we had to go with the first product. Although VKP put on a good fight, our first entry does everything simpler, smoother, and overall feels more refined. More than enough for the number one spot.
Premium Pick: Starfrit Rotato Express 2.0
- If you are ready to spend a couple of dollars more (literally) and altogether remove the manual work out of the equation, this peeler will offer a very smooth, steady, and noiseless performance. What else could you ask from an electric apple peeler? Also, it should be mentioned that the unit features a built-in battery so you will be able to work even with no outlet in sight.
Budget Pick: Spring Chef Premium Swivel Vegetable Peeler
- This unit ended up being a budget pick only for the fact we are talking about a simple handheld apple peeler. But, believe us – there is nothing budget or entry-level about this product. In the world of handheld peelers, it easily stands tall as one of the best units you can currently find on the market.